Advice on education management info system

Re: Advice on education management info system

by Dave Perry -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Testers

For the sake of clarification, what exactly do you want any mobile capability to be able to do? And who would be logging into it? Staff / students? etc.

And what are you looking for in a moodle integration - automated course enrolments/withdrawals? All courses automatically have a moodle page?

I know of institutions in the UK who have achieved both of the above, by using a mix of the Database Enrolment plugin (included in core moodle) and some custom development. We've looked at doing automatic course enrolments / withdrawals, but it's a time thing and would require changes to our MIS (QL, for the record).

In reply to Dave Perry

Re: Advice on education management info system

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

I know this is a late comment and likely no longer necessary, but....

Marcus is quite right, an under discussed topic, for sure, and for the reasons he gives. 

I would suggest that there is a commonality in all EMIS' that could be used as a core for any kind of development. Local authorities are concerned with issues of privacy, data retention and the like, so a shell app could be developed with these things in place. Everything else could become plugins and addons, --- hey, wait a moment, isn't that what Moodle does? A core with additional abilities that can be adapted to suit local conditions? 

Good idea! Pity it seems that so few people have the willingness to pursue something like this.