Comparisons and advocacy

Advice on education management info system

Picture of David Dunn
Advice on education management info system

I'm in search of an education management information system (EMIS) for a small university college. The current system is based on Osiris. The new system should be capable of managing admissions, and synchronizing courses, students and professors. It should also be available on mobile, and capable of integrating with Moodle.

A previous discussion in a moodle.org forum is outdated, and I would appreciate insight into other users' experiences with different systems.

David

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Marcus Green
Re: Advice on education management info system
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

It is a surprisingly under discussed topic on these forums David.

Picture of David Dunn

And it looks as if it's going to stay that way! shy

Picture of Marcus Green
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

I suspect part of the reason is that education management systems are more closely tied to local legal structures than Virtual Learning Environments. So if I were to mention the system I know about here in the UK, I suspect it would not be that helpful as it would be designed around different qualifications university entrance requirements, privacy laws etc etc.

So, yes I think it might stay highly under-discussed, and perhaps I should not be surprised.

Picture of Dave Perry
Particularly helpful MoodlersTesters

For the sake of clarification, what exactly do you want any mobile capability to be able to do? And who would be logging into it? Staff / students? etc.

And what are you looking for in a moodle integration - automated course enrolments/withdrawals? All courses automatically have a moodle page?

I know of institutions in the UK who have achieved both of the above, by using a mix of the Database Enrolment plugin (included in core moodle) and some custom development. We've looked at doing automatic course enrolments / withdrawals, but it's a time thing and would require changes to our MIS (QL, for the record).

moi!!! it is what is is...
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers

I know this is a late comment and likely no longer necessary, but....

Marcus is quite right, an under discussed topic, for sure, and for the reasons he gives. 

I would suggest that there is a commonality in all EMIS' that could be used as a core for any kind of development. Local authorities are concerned with issues of privacy, data retention and the like, so a shell app could be developed with these things in place. Everything else could become plugins and addons, --- hey, wait a moment, isn't that what Moodle does? A core with additional abilities that can be adapted to suit local conditions? 

Good idea! Pity it seems that so few people have the willingness to pursue something like this.