Essential theme

Essential theme

by Sarah Fauset -
Number of replies: 10

How do I remove the gray border at the top?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sarah Fauset

Re: Essential theme

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Sarah,

I've noticed you asking a lot of questions.  A good guide to learning about themes is one I presented at iMoot 2015: 

'Theme customisation for beginners' showing how to understand themes and make basic customisations: www.slideshare.net/gb2048/theme-customisation-for-beginners and

Kind regards,

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Sarah Fauset -

Why can't you just answer the question? I don't need to learn everything there is to know about themes. I just want to remove the gray bar.

Yes I do ask a lot of questions when someone tells me my site is hackable when it is not and my site has memory problems...when it doesn't...Sorry!

I hired someone to verify all of this and it was not correct...I am sorry if you think I am the one at fault.

In reply to Sarah Fauset

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I'd wished I'd never taken the time to reply.

I did not say you're the one at fault.

How is removing the gray bar going to solve a security issue?  In fact I don't actually know what exact thing you're talking about.

Ah forget it.  I can't be bothered.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Sarah Fauset -

It is not related...I don't even know why you think it would be. This is a completely different thread.

Yes your reply is not helpful.

I asked how to removed a gray bar...not watch a 3 hour video on themes.

The only problems I am having is now from the advice I was given...it has created some errors on my site.

I just don't like people misrepresenting what is actually happening.

In reply to Sarah Fauset

by Derek Chirnside -

I think Gareth was trying to be helpful Sarah.

The old proverb, "teach someone to fish . . . "  (Donne un poisson à un homme, il mangera un jour. Apprends-lui à pêcher, il mangera toute sa vie)

1. If you check out the code with with something like Firebug, you can find the CSS making the unwanted bar, and then hide it in your custom CSS.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Sarah Fauset -

Thank you Derek for your help. I will check that out and try to keep an open mind!

In reply to Sarah Fauset

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Sarah, I have been following some of your posts and thought that I might help you help us by giving you some points.

1) Keep focused on one problem for each of your topics.

For example, what we see is something like "My car isn't working" and then we try to help fix the engine.  But all of a sudden saying "my tire is flat" is a whole different issue.  In this example, create another topic for the tires.  In my little analogy, this can leave us wondering if you meant "My engine works, but the car is not moving well because of my flat tire."

When you switch topics in one set of discussions, it confuses us and also takes the discussion in a completely different path.

2) Be as clear as you can describing the problem.  It would not be odd if one were to say "my tire is flat" to get a response like "have you talked to a mechanic?"  This means, have you talked to your support person?  If one says "I don't have a mechanic and I am doing this on my own", it won't be odd for someone to say, "have you read the documentation about how to fix a flat?"  When one tackles moodle on their own, one accepts the responsibility of being an independent learner.  If one doesn't want to do this, then "hire a mechanic."

In my little example, it would be much better saying "My tire is flat, I am at the point in the docs where I have removed the tire from the car, but I tried using the iron to remove the tire from the rim and am having difficulty.  The tire keeps bouncing back onto the rim."

Please accept my post as not being critical but instead trying to be helpful.  We want you to have success.

(If you had said "I don't know how to drive" this would become a whole different problem that has to be addressed before fixing the tire or getting the car to run.)

(Derek, sorry if you said this same thing to Sarah but in a different language.  I am not going to ask you to translate because Google can do this for me.  smile )

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Sarah Fauset -

Thanks for your message. I think I laughed for 30 minutes straight after reading it....Very funny but probably true!!!

In reply to Sarah Fauset

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Sarah, great! I appreciate that you were not offended by my comments that were totally directed towards education.  Sometimes it is good to provide responses so that everyone can learn a little from each other.  This is the "power" of forums within education.