Percents only for total points

Percents only for total points

by Adam Johnston -
Number of replies: 6
I am looking to see if anyone has any mods or advice on how to make it so I can see the student total percentage in the class, but not their percentage on each assignments or activity they do.  Its so much cleaning to read and enter grades without the percentages there, but it is really nice to have the percentages at the end so I can easily see where everyone is in the class at a glance.
Thanks
In reply to Adam Johnston

Re: Percents only for total points

by Michael Penney -
Hmm, you could set letter grades to percent, and show letter grades to teachers only, and set some scale on the letter grades that would give you enough information to tell where students are.
In reply to Michael Penney

by Adam Johnston -
That's in a way what I am doing now, but to have it show the actual grades they have, we only use A, B, C, etc.  We don't use - or +'s, so its not very fine tuned unless I use a -,+ system which I do, ignoring them when entering final grades. 

I just thought it might be something someone had done though or had some interest in seeing, as several teachers have asked me about it, and I was wondering myself.  Not being much of a coder I didn't know if this is one of those easy things someone hacked or if it was "the way it is" without a major overhaul.

by Adam Johnston -
Well I decided to mess with some code and see if I could just remove the stuff the gives the assignment grades. So far I have managed to get it so assignment percentages don't show up, just category and/or total percentages. What I haven't been able to get yet is the listing of assignments to stop being twice as wide apart as need. So the point and the student scores are all lined up for view or edit grades pages, but I just can't figure out yet where it is I need to modify to make it list the asignment names as though I was just displaying points.

I'll try and post what I did if I can get this working, or if someone has some ideas about how to compact the assignments let me know so people can make the gradebook look a little bit more like a normal gradebook would.

by Michael Penney -
Do you have a screenshot of a normal gradebook?
In reply to Michael Penney

by Adam Johnston -
Screenshot of a normal gradebook?  You mean the view grades screen? Hold on a sec while I get my install up and running again (I just changed hosts) so I can take a screen shot fo the viewgades screen with the issue I was talking about so you can see it, assuming thats what you want.

by Adam Johnston -
OK, here is an image of view grades. I appear to have most of it going somehow. Even fixed my issue though I have no clue how, which should reassure everyone tremendously smile

I included my modifued lib.php n case people want to see what I muched up. I am going to have to diff this with the original myself. My lib was the latest one Rob had posted by the way, and edit grades looks the same as view does, little extra crud but not too bad.  I know its the scaled totals thats showing up at the top.  I just have to figure where it is to rid everything of it, as its already there anyway next to the totals.

Pretty picture