Potential Quiz bug with CLOZE and Immediate feedback

Potential Quiz bug with CLOZE and Immediate feedback

by Dave Laurie -
Number of replies: 1

Hi all,

I *think* we have run into a bug where students can infer the correct answers before they should when using CLOZE questions in immediate feedback mode. I thought I'd check here before adding it to tracker.

To replicate (on version 2.8.5), add a quiz containing a cloze question and a standard multiple choice, under Layout set New page to 'Every question', under Question behaviour set 'How questions behave' to immediate feedback, and under Review options select everything under 'During the quiz'.

Now when taking the test as a student, enter answers for the CLOZE question BUT DO NOT click the 'Check' button, navigate to the other page of the quiz and then back again. You will now see the scores for your saved answers when you hover over that answer (eg, Mark 0 out of 1). This means that without submitting their answer (clicking 'Check'), students could check whether they have it right and change their response until they do.

Note this only happens in the hover feedback mechanism of CLOZE; entering an answer to a multiple choice question and switching pages will in no way reveal anything until the 'Check' button is pressed.

Once they click the check button, they no longer can make any changes to their answers and correctly see the immediate feedback on correct, marks, etc at that time. The problem is when their score for each answer is revealed BEFORE they click the 'Check' button.

If anyone else has run into this and knows of any workarounds, please let me know. I've advised the instructor to uncheck 'Marks' from the During the attempt column of Review options for now but he wants them to see full immediate feedback including the point values of the components of questions.

As it stands, this behaviour seems to me to not to be working as it should.

Regards,
Dave

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dave Laurie

Re: Potential Quiz bug with CLOZE and Immediate feedback

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I am afraid this is a known issue (MDL-35325). I am sorry it has not been fixed yet.