URL's in folders?

URL's in folders?

by Angelo Spiler -
Number of replies: 4

I have to put other stuff than files into a folder (like a URL), but am unsure if this is possible. Is there a workaround or other content box? Other thing: on the iOS app of Moodle hitting URL's give a second screen with the message "go to URL", hitting that button leads to the site (in Safari). Can't we skip this second screen and go directly to the site in Safari?

thanks in advance

Attachment IMG_0802.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Angelo Spiler

Re: URL's in folders?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Angelo  -sorry you didn't get a reply to this sooner. I was reminded of it when you posted in the Learn Moodle forum just now. As you have probably now found out, the only thing which go into folders are files . As for your mobile app question, hopefully you'll get a reply or you can post again in the dedicated mobile app forum here.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Angelo Spiler -

Hi Mary, I am a bit impatient, that's the reason. Thanks for answering. 

If for example an exercise for my students consist of 3 files and a URL on the web (with the description of the exercise and movie example on Vimeo) how would you put them together... I can imagine indenting and using a Label...

But I have a lot of exercises like this and don't want to clutter the screen to much, that was the reason I want to use folders. Where can I find plugins or other repositories which could serve me? Or don't you think these exist for this wish of mine?

In reply to Angelo Spiler

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Several answers:

• Use the Show only one section per page feature Course administration>Edit settings If you put one exercise (our three files. URLs and video) in each topic section then they will only see one exercise at a time. See the documentation Course formats and there is a video also on the Learn Moodle course, Week 1 Book which demonstrates it.
  • Thing of other ways to display your files, URLs and video. For example: you can use one book and put your URLS into the book pages by embedding them in the text editor instead of adding them as URLs. You can also embed your Vimeo video in the text editor of the pages of a book. How important is it to have downloadable files? Would it be possible to add the content of the files to a page in a Book? Or if not, then you can upload the file as a link into the text editor. (Next week on the Learn Moodle course we look at books and you may already have watched the video - if not - it is below. You can link to files and URLs and videos in a Book so all the content of your exercise is included in one place, the Book.