Making the most of Google Analytics

Making the most of Google Analytics

by Chris Schembri Baldacchino -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

We recently started gathering Moodle usage data via Google Analytics.

I am quite keen on making the best use of GA, but there does not seem to be much online documentation to enhance what data is being collected. I would really appreciate if any of you would share their experiences.

For a start, I am particularly interested in finding a way for GA to distinguish teaching staff from students when gathering data (potentially through the use of an Additional Field in Moodle profiles).

Furthermore, GA doesn't seem to 'catch' data when file resources (documents, PDFs,  etc) are accessed by users; I understand that this is because such files obviously do not have the GA tracking code embedded in them. Would 'In-Page Analytics' (a GA feature) help? If so, how is it set up?

Thanks for any info provided.

Chris

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chris Schembri Baldacchino

Re: Making the most of Google Analytics

by David Boch -

Hi Chris,

I am very happy that more and more people are looking for (and/or working on) solutions for Google Analytics and other social media platform ad tools.

I am rookie in PHP so could you please share how did you implemented Google Analytics on Moodle? I tried and my site went down and I worked according to GA instructions. Have you tried to implemented Facebook Pixel as well?

Thanks.

David

In reply to David Boch

by Chris Schembri Baldacchino -

Hi David,

At this stage, we are not yet looking into implementing Facebook Pixel...

With regards to implementing Google Analytics on Moodle, it should be relatively easy. All you need to do is to copy and paste the tracking code in 'Before BODY is closed - additionalhtmlfooter' text box (Moodle Installation > Site administration > Appearance > Additional HTML).

Hope this helps...Let me know if you need any more help.

Chris

In reply to Chris Schembri Baldacchino

by David Boch -

Thanks a lot! I will try to implement Facebook pixel and will let you know how I did it so it may be useful to you in future.

Kind regards,

David