Anyone experience issues when upgrading from PHP 5.3 to 5.5 on Moodle 1.9?

Anyone experience issues when upgrading from PHP 5.3 to 5.5 on Moodle 1.9?

by Dan Patterson -
Number of replies: 5

Hey All!

I am in need of some help.  Please don't laugh, I know we are still using Moodle 1.9.  Our host server company doesn't support Moodle 2.0 or higher and we are nearing the end of our new LMS selection process so we elected to stay on the current site until we migrate the data over to our new system.

The problem is PHP 5.3 is being EOL'd so our host server company is upgrading our PHP to 5.5.  They insist everything should be smooth as long as no custom/third party script was used.  We haven't used any custom script, but I am fearful that this upgrade will bring our LMS down and we do not have a PHP expert working for our company anymore so it can't be easily fixed if that were to occur.

So with that said, has anyone out there that is possibly still using Moodle 1.9 upgraded to PHP 5.5 and experienced any issues?  if so, what were they and how did you address the issue?  I know this is a long shot, but figured it was worth posting. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Sincerely,

Dan Patterson

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Patterson

Re: Anyone experience issues when upgrading from PHP 5.3 to 5.5 on Moodle 1.9?

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Dan, just to make  you comfortable, you aren't the only one on 1.9, still Moodle 1.9 has a big share in terms of installations.

Now coming to your query, Not that I have experienced personally or have heard from anyone having issues using PHP 5.5/5.6 on Moodle 1.9 so be confident here as well, for you wont even notice the change has already happened in the background (may be a bit of performance improvement).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Dan Patterson -

Ok, so the host server company made an error and it is actually PHP 5.6 we are getting upgraded too.  So has anyone with Moodle 1.9 had an issue upgrading to PHP 5.6 from 5.3? 

by Usman Asar -

I did included 5.6 as well in first post, so be worry free.

one thing you can ask them additionally, to enable opcache extension as that was coming as additional extension until PHP 5.4, but now comes as a part of PHP since PHP 5.5, will really improves on performance for your Moodle.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Dan Patterson -

Thanks for the reply Usman.  I am happy to hear we are not alone in the continued use of Moodle 1.9 and that the upgrade should be fine.  I will as them about enabling the oapache extension. 

by Usman Asar -

Just backing up my claim of Moodle's 1.9's share, you can find the Moodle's installation as per versions installed here https://moodle.net/stats/ and see for yourself, 1.9 still has a big share plus there are people on 1.8 and earlier as well, making Moodle 1.9 as Windows XP of windows versions.