Users not able to see and download certificate after settings changed

Users not able to see and download certificate after settings changed

by vinoth kannan -
Number of replies: 3

Hi All,

We had a quiz which on successful completion and getting 70% grade generates certificate of completion. 

But due to the settings all users were able to download the certificate even though they didn't complete the quiz successfully. So after the quiz attempt we changed the settings so that the user can download the certificate only after getting 70%. 

Now the old issue is solved but the users who completed the quiz before the setting change is not able to download the certificate. Kindly let us know how to solve the issue.

If settings is reverted back can the user be able to download their certificate.

Regards,

Vinoth Kannan P

Average of ratings: -
In reply to vinoth kannan

Re: Users not able to see and download certificate after settings changed

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Hi,

What version of Moodle are you using? Where did you set the condition, in certificate and/or in the course's conditional activity? Are you saving the certificates?

My experience says if the student passes the quiz, then they should be able to get a certificate. You would have to allow them to take the quiz more than once and they would have to pass.

However, I am not sure what happens if the certificate setting Issue Option>Save Certificates was set to "Yes",  and the conditions change in mid stream.   My experience with Moodle 1.9 says when the certificate is being saved with the course, then the old certificate will still be there.

There are a lot of potentials with the facts you have supplied so far.  If it were me, I would be creating a test course, enrol a test student, create a 2 question quiz and a certificate.  Then see what happens  after I change the conditionssmile

Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by vinoth kannan -

Hi Chris,

We are using Moodle 2.4, we changed the condition in course condition activities and certificates are not saved. 

Activity Completion: 'Must be marked as complete'

Previous setting was all the users were able to download the certificate even they didn't pass, now after the settings change old users who were completed the course were not able to pass the exams. I understand that if certificated were saved it could be retrieved. But need a way to download the certificates to for old users. I will try your suggestion of creating a test course and change the settings.

Thanks

Regards,

Vinoth 

In reply to vinoth kannan

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

I understand a little bit more.   No certificates were saved.  For the moment I will ignore those students who did not pass the quiz and mistakenly downloaded a certificate.  The problem you presented was recreating a certificate for students who had passed the quiz, but where no certificates were saved by Moodle.

Here are two workarounds:

I suggested before that you create a new certificate with the correct condition for the quiz and ask students who passed the quiz to check the new certificate.    This would be the easiest solution using Moodle but perhaps not for the students.   Alternatively, someone could log in for those qualifying students and generate a certificate which would be saved. 

If I absolutely had to have a duplicate of a certificate that was downloaded (date issued, unique code) but not saved, then I would need to extract data via a query on the Moodle mySQL database.   That might get complicated, so consider if you have enough information in an "export grades" file to use in a certificate.  Once I had the data in something like a CSV file, I would use Word and mailmerge to create a series of duplicate certificates. I would put the certificate image as a background, place my fixed text and mailmerge fields in the appropriate places, and a few steps later have a series of individual certificate pdfs.   

Just trying to give you a few more idea.

Chris