Missing digest emails

Missing digest emails

by Lucien Stals -
Number of replies: 2

Some of our students are saying that they are not receiving digest emails from forums.

I've checked the forums subscription settings and it's set to "forced". 

I checked the user profile and they have "subjects only" selected for their digest type.

What else can I check to see if the emails are getting through?

I suspect an issue at the users end, like emails ending up in the spam folder, but this happens often enough that I do suspect something funny our system, but I don't know how to diagnose it.

Are there any suggestions for how to diagnose problems?

Thanks,

Lucien.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lucien Stals

Re: Missing digest emails

by Lucien Stals -

I've just had another user, a staff member this time, complain of the same problem.

I was able to confirm that a different staff member enrolled in the same forum received the daily digest, but one didn't.

The forum is set to "forced" subscription.

There was no email in the users spam folder.

Really not sure how to resolve this.

BTW, we are using Moodle 2.6.11. It's externally hosted. In Site Admin > Plugins > Message outputs > Email, there is NO SMTP host listed. I assume that means the emails are being sent via PHPs own email libraries. How would I get access to log files to find any errors?

Thanks.

In reply to Lucien Stals

Re: Missing digest emails

by Lucien Stals -

I just heard back from my staff member who tell me she did receive her digest email today, 24 hours after the other person received theirs (for the same forum post).

This is strange, but it seems that things are working after all, just very slowly.

I'm going to keep an eye on this, but for now I'm going to stop worrying about it.

Thanks,

Lucien.