Hey moodlers,

Hope everyone is doing good smile

My students submit image files as assignments. Here is my grade process :

1. I download the file
  2. I correct it with my software
  3. I attribute a note to the student
  4. I write some comments feedback
  5. I uplaod the file as feedback also

Here is my question : how can my students reply to my feedback ? AND i want to be notified about it to answer back again.

Many thanks for your help guys smile

PS : i know that i can use the comments widget on the assignment page, but im not notified about answers :

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mehdi Belhocine

Re: How students can reply to feedback ?

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I don't know the answer to your question, but getting student comments on your feedback seems a good idea.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Mehdi Belhocine -

Actually there's a way with the comments widget as i shown, but i cant find a way to be notified and thats the real issue for me.

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Mehdi,

Have you considered using the Dataform module with the notification block? I just tested it and it works with Moodle 3.0.1.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Mehdi Belhocine -

Hey Harmut,

Thx for getting back here. Can you explain to me the process to achieve what i want with these two plugins ?

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Mehdi,

I will try to explain how you can set up Dataform. Students can upload, the teacher will download and revise the file and has the opportunity to add a feedback. Students can get informed about the revised file and the feedback from the teacher. The notification can be set to an event in a view. Now the student can respond to the feedback and write a comment. Finally, it may look like this:

complete assignment with feedback and comment

You can have many and different views in any Dataform activity. Here are the views that I added.

views

When a student posts a comment as response to the feedback, the notification rule will ensure that the teacher will receive an email.

notification rule

I hope this gives you an idea how your special assignment can be done with the Dataform activity. 

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Mehdi Belhocine -

Hi Harmut,

Many thx ! I get it now. Dataform is an activity on its own. It looks like its a more sofisticated assignment activity. It looks great but this means i will have to change all my activities in all courses and setup them all again...

Im looking for something to add quickly and easily to my existing assignment activities.

Your idea looks very great though smile

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Mehdi,

I lack programming skills and just look around for what is possible. This is why I like to use the Dataform module.

There may be an alternative to this. Do you use event monitoring (Site administration > Reports > Event monitoring rules)? I use event monitoring in quizzes with essay questions.

I checked whether there is an event like "Comment submitted" in Assignment  (area to monitor), but I couldn't find anything. I have no clue how hard it is to add a new rule at your site, so that you could use the existing assignments and just set up a rule for the teacher capability at your site. See also the Moodle docs about Event 2.

The rest of the steps described in your initial post is already available and possible in the assignment module, i.e., a teacher can download, revise and upload the revised file, add a feedback and the student can write a comment regarding the feedback. The missing part is the notification email regarding the comment from a student. 

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Mehdi Belhocine -

Hey Hartmut,

Yes the event monitoring is a great idea too. I've managed to create a rule about comments. When a student create a comment, i recieve an email notification. Here are the 2 issues with that :

1. The email notification doesnt provide a direct link to the student comment. It just provide a link to the assignment page related.
  2. Even if i was providing a direct link, i will be getting all comments notification, even the one i can see without the need of a notification (i.e when a student send an assignment and join a comment with the upload file. When a open the assignment page to grade the student, i can see clearly that there's a comment there. I do not need notification for that one.

Im totally agree to say that the point 2 is a minor issue at the end of the day smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)