Q and A Forum Separate Groups

Q and A Forum Separate Groups

by Mike Verna -
Number of replies: 4
Using Moodle 2.7 -

A Q and A  forum has been set up.  Groups have been setup, including adding the teacher to all of the groups.  ( I tried this without the teacher being in a group also )

If I use separate groups, students cannot respond to the first question.

If I use no groups, students can respond.

If I use Visible groups, students can respond.

Am I missing something?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Verna

Re: Q and A Forum Separate Groups

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

And just checking you  have also posted the question separately to each of the groups?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mike Verna -

Short answer No.

Here is the reason the teacher wants to do this.  She has placed the students into separate groups that she has chosen so they do not work in cliques. 

She would like to be able to have the students post in separate groups so each group does not see what the other is doing.  Then in a week to ten days, change it to no groups, so everyone can see it.  With this in mind, I think it might be too difficult for her to manage 5 forums with the same question.

It is my understanding that if it is set to visible groups, each student can see each others posts, but only respond to those is their own group.

In reply to Mike Verna

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello and yes; thanks for the explanation. Unfortunately if you want to use the Q and A forum with separate groups she does have to post the same question to each group.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Andrew Lyons -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In Moodle 2.9 we added a checkbox to post a message to all groups to help with this case.