Future major features

A problem with the policy around activity completion

This discussion has been locked because a year has elapsed since the last post. Please start a new discussion topic.
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
A problem with the policy around activity completion
Group Core developersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

In MDL-39624 we came up with an policy around activity completion: Once an activity is marked as complete, then we never remove that status even if the activity settings are changed.

So, for example, the following is 'correct' behaviour:

1. Create a quiz that allows 1 attempt, and which automatically gets marked as complete when a student has completed all their attempts.
  2. Student attempts the quiz and gets a bad mark - quiz is marked as complete.
  3. Teacher overrides the settings for that student, and allows them a second attempt.

Because of the policy, the quiz is still shown as complete, but this is clearly not what anyone was expecting, and this was reported as a bug MDL-52722.

It looks even stranger if the quiz has a 'Grade to pass' set. Then, the quiz is not just shown as Complete, but Complete - failed.

Is this enough to cause us to re-consider this policy?

(Note, I could not find a better forum than this one to post in. If there is a better forum, please could a moderator move this.)

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Joshua Bragg
Re: A problem with the policy around activity completion
Group Testers

Here is another side issue that is similar that I've always just dealt with because I understood the policy and reasons:

I have 10 units in my course.  There is a help forum in each unit for students to ask questions on their practice assignments.  It is graded to encourage participation and its marked complete when the students post anything in it.  If they get confused about what unit they're in then I'll move the post to the right one.  Sometimes then students miss that they really didn't complete that unit's forum and end up with a missing grade as a result.

Average of ratings: -
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: A problem with the policy around activity completion
Group Core developersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

The policy issue says [Don't reset completion state] "unless you manually reset it and are warned loudly and students are informed" But, how do you do that reset?

For the quiz case, I was wondering about a checkbox on the quiz settings, or quiz override form "Re-compute completion status for all students to account for this change in setting".

Average of ratings: -