Letter item for course total grade

Letter item for course total grade

by Salim Al Waili -
Number of replies: 10
Hi all,

I have one question please.

We have some teachers who want to add in the gradebook one column that will automatically convert the  course
total point into letter equivalents.

Would you lease advice how to do that.

Thank you.

In reply to Salim Al Waili

Re: Letter item for course total grade

by ankit garg -

This location on Moodle will help you to set Letter grades: Home / ►Site administration / ►Grades / ►Letters

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Salim,

Would a different grade display type suit you? The default is real i.e. actual grades, but you can choose to display Real (letter) or Percentage (letter) then the letter is shown in brackets after the grade e.g. 85 (A). Please see the documentation Grade letters for more information.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Salim Al Waili -

Thank you Helen and Ankit for your replies.

Sorry, but I mean to add a new item from the categories and items a letter column which should translate the total "category/course total" into the equivalent letter.

Thanks

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I think you can probably add a new item, say with the name 'Course total letter' with grade type as text, and set a grade calculation so that it equals the total grade and the grade display type is set to letter. However, it will be shown in the user report as a manual item and not in bold as a category total. Is this acceptable for you?
In reply to Helen Foster

by Salim Al Waili -

Also the "Course total" is not editable. I can not change it to letters (real)!

Thanks

by Helen Foster -
It is indeed not easy to figure out how to change the grade display type for the course total! I have just amended Grade letters and added "(For the course total, click the Edit then 'Edit settings' link at the top of the actions column, opposite the name of the course.)". I hope it helps.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I think we have a tracker item on this but if editing is on, the course total (2.8 or later) will only show as total points.  Turn editing off and it will then respect the setting.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Helen Foster -
Thanks Emma, that's good to know. I guess it's MDL-51708 that you are referring to?