Upgrade from 2.6 to 2.7

Upgrade from 2.6 to 2.7

by Russell Thomson -
Number of replies: 7

I tried to upgrade from 2.6.11 to the latest version and I had some problems (quizzes missing from the disk), so I decided to upgrade progressively through the diferent versions to see where I had problems. I tried to upgrade from 2.6.11 to 2.7.11 and had the problem with quizzes missing from the disk and then I was unable to complete the upgrade. How can I solve this problem? Thanks and regards

Attachment Screenshot 2015-12-19 19.49.44.jpg
Attachment Screenshot 2016-01-10 11.45.29.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Russell Thomson

Re: Upgrade from 2.6 to 2.7

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Missing from disk means a directory/folder is missing.

In a stock 2.7 (no additions) the quiz question types are in
moodle27/question/type/

and are:

calculated
calculatedmulti
calculatedsimple
description
essay
match
missingtype
multianswer
multichoice
numerical
random
randomsamatch
shortanswer
tests
truefalse

In your error screen #1 it shows additional quiz type questions:
combined
ddmatch
oumultiresponse
pmatch

First, you need to check to see if the additional quiz type questions are compatible
with 2.7.
https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=category&id=29

You could attempt to copy the 2.6.11 quiz type directories to the 2.7 code directory.
combined
ddmatch
oumultiresponse
pmatch
to the 2.7.x code/question/type/ directory.

Make sure the ownership/permissions on the copied directories are the same as those already in 2.7code/question/type/ directory.

Then relaunch the upgrade process.

"spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Russell Thomson -

Hi Ken,

Thanks for replying. If I upgrade to a Moodle version and the quizzes are not compatible with the higher version, do the quizzes disappear during the upgrade?

Regards

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Having never been down this path with Quizzes, unknown to me ... ie, don't know.

Guess: don't think they (the quizzes) will disappear ... but they will not function is my best guess.

If we get the directories back in place, the upgrade may finish ... with warnings ... but that's better than being in limbo, don't you think?

Moodle will probably complain and one would get an error in upgrading.  If 'fatal error" (ie, incompatible),  I'd move the offending quiz type question directory out of it's location into a 'holding area' ... like /home/keep/

and then try resuming the upgrade.

Hope you are working with a copy of what was functioning before you begin this journey.

or/and you made a minimal site backup consisting of code directory and DB dump.   You might have to revert back to old version to check and see if you are really using those question types ... the listing of the mods/blocks addons will show those question types and if used there will be a number there that relates to usage.

OR, if you know you didn't use them, could remove them, BACKUP, then proceed with upgrading.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

combined
ddmatch
oumultiresponse
pmatch

All of these question types are available for 2.7.

In reply to Ken Task

by Russell Thomson -

Hi Ken,

I put this to one side as I didn't know how to do it and I didn't have time to get fully involved. You said that I could attempt to copy the 2.6.11 quiz type directories to the 2.7 code directory. Where do I find the diectories and how do I do this?

Regards

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all these are 'optional' question-type plugins. For example... 

https://moodle.org/plugins/qtype_ddmatch

If you upgrade your core code then (if you don't do anything about it) your optional plugins will not be there automatically. You'll need to go to the plugins database, get the code for the correct version and install it according to the instructions. Your old data will still be there when the code is replaced. 

Version 2.7 also allows you to install through the user interface if permissions are correct - https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Installing_plugins#Installing_directly_from_the_Moodle_plugins_directory

In reply to Howard Miller

by Russell Thomson -

Thanks for replying. I understand that I would have to re-install the plug-ins, but my problem is I can't update. I get to the plug-ins page and I can update all the plug-ins but when I cintinue with the update I get thsi error message posted and the update fails.

Regards

Russell