Can I re-upload missing SCORM files without erasing user reports

Can I re-upload missing SCORM files without erasing user reports

by light saber -
Number of replies: 1
I had a SCORM package that stopped working, the player just shows a white screen. It had been working alright before. After being momentarily upset by this, I realized that if I created a new SCORM activity uploading the same zip SCORM package, everything looked great and the SCORM player worked. But a brand new activity won't have my user data.

So, I thought I could just try re-uploading the zip file to the original activity and all should be well, since it seems that the activity just wasn't pointing to the right assets anymore. The zip already shows as attached to the activity, and when I try to upload it again, it doesn't cause any change, the player stays a white screen. I realize I need to force the activity to extract the files from the zip to the proper file directories by making it think this is a new zip file. So I tried uploading an empty zip, or a zip with a modified imsmanifest.xml, or a zip with just the original imsmanifest.xml but no other files. Trying any of theses options, and then going in again and uploading the original SCORM zip that I want for the activity works like a charm and the SCORM player shows the right content, but there is one problem - the reports show as empty, the user data is erased when I change the SCORM file before bringing back the original. Uploading the original does not bring the report data back. I can't seem to find the right way to get moodle to take the original zip file without losing user data.

I'm trying to fix this in my development environments  before attempting to fix it on my production site. One of my dev environments is on 2.2 and the other 2.4 (I'm in the process of working on an upgrade). Testing in both versions seems to produce the same results.

If anyone can think of a simple way to get the SCORM files to the right directories, I'd really appreciate it. If the SCORM files were stored in a more human decipherable folder hierarchy, I would imagine that going through and uploading the individual assets would solve the problem, but with the way the folders are named and hard to track down every file's proper location, I don't see that as very feasible.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to light saber

Re: Can I re-upload missing SCORM files without erasing user reports

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,
you can add an empty TXT file to your original package to force the re-publishing since you need the zip file to be "different" from the current, to trigger an update of the files.

You need to use the same identifiers to let the tracking data stay there: if you want to have the current published zip, log as an "administrator" of the course and download it by clicking over the file.

If you want more detail about updating a SCORM activity and the luck of its tracking data:

If you want to get in touch with the files, the next time try to use a File System Repository to host your packages: Selecting an imsmanifest.xml from an unzipped SCORM in a file system repository, https://danmarsden.com/blog/2013/09/24/managing-scorm-content-in-moodle-2-6/.

HTH,
Matteo

Average of ratings: Useful (1)