New To Moodle

New To Moodle

by philip eddy -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

We already have an online training website and want to have feedback from anyone on the use of Moodle and any advice on the following:

1. Can I link Moodle to our main site for tutor chat an uploading assignments?

2. Does any emails, chat, tracking between a student and tutor remain on the site or reading months later?

3. Is Moodle free or do we pay a yearly subscription?

4. Do Tutors & Students like the use of Moodle?

Any advice any further information on the ease of set up and use of Moodle would be gratefully welcome.

Regards & Thanks for any help

Phil

Average of ratings: -
In reply to philip eddy

Re: New To Moodle

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

The only question you ask that can't be answered in the pages Mary suggests is 4. Do Tutors & Students like the use of Moodle?

Ok, describe "like"? Some do some don't. Some love it, others hate it. Some are enthusiastic about it and will always be looking at trying to provide better courses, better resources in their courses, more relevant and interesting activities. Others are just too lazy to figure out what Moodle is capable of, no matter how many demonstrations, how many training sessions, how much support they get. So rule 1 is "who cares of they like it or not", (Moodle should be like the weather, it gets criticized all the time, but it doesn't care). The only thing you really need to do is get campus leadership on board. IF they want it, they will get it and everyone else better catch up. 

Some people say Moodle is "Too complex" but reality is that it is no more complex than most other tools that do a similar job. The "learning curve" for Moodle is "too steep", not really, just you have more than two formats of activities and resources, and it is that choice, I suspect, they are arguing about. (The tyranny of choice here.) 

I have used Blackboard, and it wasn't a good experience, kept falling over, very frustrating. I have used WebCT, now incorporated into BB, very restricted and difficult to use. I have used Wikispaces and Edmodo, easy to use, can be useful for some things, but actually quite limited in capabilities. Compared to Moodle - well really, none of these other tools measured up to Moodle v1.8,1, let alone Moodle v3.0.x 

But then, I am quite prejudiced. After BB, I suspect anyone would be quite prejudiced. big grin      

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Colin Fraser

Re: New To Moodle

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Well said Colin Yes.

Some people say Moodle is "Too complex" 

Then, they chose "Canvas', looks really cool and super easy to use–––too easy to do any real work big grin.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)