Issues with adding categories in the gradebook

Issues with adding categories in the gradebook

by Darren O'Neill -
Number of replies: 5

Hi there,

Hopefully I'll explain this correctly smile

We're using moodle 2.8 and a lecturer here has set up multiple categories within the grade book. There is a main category with  three sub categories, which were all set up with natural aggregation to add up all results. The lecturers goal was:

Sub Category 1

Has six items, each worth 2% the lowest grading would be dropped. But this could not be done using natural aggregation. I changed this to simple weighted mean of grades which dropped the lowest and produced the correct result in the category total 

Sub Category 2

The next category has some quizzes and assignments that calculate up to 30 we changed this to simple weighted mean of grades and the correct result is shown in the Category 2 total 

Sub Category 3

The third category is a single submission that is worth 10 percent and the correct total is showing.

However in the main category total I selected natural hoping that it would add up all the sub category totals, but however, it does not. I have tried use a formula and called the totals of category 1: item 1, category 2 :item 2 and category 3: item 3. 

The formula is accepted but nothing happens. I have experimented with a few different aggregators but can't get this to work.

I've been looking at this for the past two days with no success, so any help would be greatly appreciated. smile

Thanks,

Darren 

In reply to Darren O'Neill

Re: Issues with adding categories in the gradebook

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Do you have the "Exclude Empty grades" option checked or unchecked in the Course Total settings cog (on the Setup View tab)? That might possibly affect the sum, but I'm not completely sure.

In reply to John Provasnik

by Darren O'Neill -

Hi John,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I followed Emma's advise below and the grade book is now working.

Thanks again,

Darren

In reply to Darren O'Neill

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

1.  For you to be able to drop the lowest with natural grading in a category, all items have to worth the same amount and weighted equally.  If you set your first category that way, you should then be able to drop the lowest.

2. Why did you switch Category 2 to simple weighted?  This should work with Natural.

You are discussing percentages but then wanting total points...natural grading will add all points but it you apply weighting, then it will adjust the points per the weighting...

Currently, your percentages add up to 52...(12 for cat 1, 30 for cat 2, and 10 for cat 3).  This will not work obviously.  If you just put the points in, then natural grading will automatically weight these according to get to 100%. 

Try taking it all back to natural and just change the point values (in the assignments, not the gradebook) to reflect how you want each assignment to play in the total grade.  Then let natural do the weighting and it should work correctly.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Darren O'Neill -

Hi Emma,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. The grade book is not my strongest area, so I am very grateful for the help.

"Try taking it all back to natural and just change the point values (in the assignments, not the gradebook) to reflect how you want each assignment to play in the total grade.  Then let natural do the weighting and it should work correctly."

I followed your instructions as above and I can confirm that all is now working. smile

Thanks again,

Darren