Lots of messages marked as unread

Lots of messages marked as unread

by Séverin Terrier -
Number of replies: 12
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

Since one hour, there are a lot of messages/discussions marked as unread (despite you already read them) thoughtful

I've created MDLSITE-4388 about that.

Séverin

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Séverin Terrier

Re: Lots of messages marked as unread

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thanks Séverin for your issue report and for posting here.

As I mentioned in the issue, the reason why lots of forum posts have suddenly been marked as unread when previously they were read is because the setting "Read after days" forum_oldpostdays (in Site administration > Plugins > Activity modules > Forum) has been changed from 14 (the default value) to 30. Hopefully the change will not cause any other untoward effects, and I know not to think of changing the setting again until the issue is fixed!
In reply to Helen Foster

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
> the setting "Read after days" forum_oldpostdays (in Site administration > Plugins > Activity modules > Forum) has been changed from 14 (the default value) to 30

What was the reason/request to change it? Was there a tracker issue (leading _to_ the change, not a _result_ of the change)?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I can't remember where I saw it (possibly developers' chat?) but someone commented that after more than 2 weeks away at Christmas, they could not easily see all the forum posts that they had missed.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Actually, it was forum discussion in the facilitator's area.

In reply to Tim Hunt

The result is that the forums where I've read everything now say I haven't read the posts in December. I can see threads where myself is the final speaker marked as all posts unread.

What is the logic behind this? Were the facilitators having a party?
sad

by Tim Hunt -

On the front page of the forum that lists all the discussions, at the top of the table in the heading cell for the unread column, there is a grey tick (check) icon. Click that to mark all posts in the forum as read (after you have read any recent posts).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

To be clear about this change : I first asked for it, because when you're out of moodle.org for 2 weeks (plus the WE), you "loosed" some unread messages mixed

Thanks Tim for this tip i discoverd yesterday after you created MDL-52682.

Séverin

In reply to Séverin Terrier

Hi Séverin

Could you explain:
> when you're out of moodle.org for 2 weeks (plus the WE), you "loosed" some unread messages

For me a post is either read or unread. There are no time-outs involved like "read during the last 14 days" or "not read until 14 days ago". Why these time-outs?

by Tim Hunt -

It makes sense if you think about how the data is stored. If you had to store whether every moodle.org user (more than 1 million) had read each and every forum post ever (also more than one million) you would end up with a huge amount of data.

Instead, Moodle assume that any post made more than X days ago has been read (or you don't care about it and will never read it, so it is not important to track whether you have read it).

That greatly reduces the amount of data that has to be stored. It is that setting of X that has just been changed form 14 to 30.

In reply to Tim Hunt

Now you say why, I can see the reason (except that here "unread" means "not read recently" or "recent unread posts" or ... ;).

The second question I asked Helen was whether this change was communicated to the users?

"What was the reason/request to change it? Was there a tracker issue [...]?"
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=325648#p1309091

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
The change is communicated via this thread. Séverin beat me to it starting a discussion. As Tim mentions, the change was requested and discussed in the Facilitators Corner; there was no tracker issue.