Installer picking wrong Directories

Installer picking wrong Directories

by Tarun Bhardwaj -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

I'm trying to install Moodle 3.0 and while installing its automatically picking up wrong Paths of Moodle Directory and Data Directory

I have loaded Moodle files in  www/learn folder i.e www.mysite.com/learn/install.php   BUT    while installing the installer takes up 

Moodle Directory: /flex/storage/mysite.com/site/www/learn

Now I don't know why its picking up 'site' folder in the path ( and I can't change it either)

Similarly it takes up a random path for Data Directory with a 'site'folder 

Anybody who might have a clue please?

Rgds,

Tarun

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tarun Bhardwaj

Re: Installer picking wrong Directories

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You should be able to change this.  It will pull default paths when it is creating the config.php file.  You might check that you have the correct permissions on your moodle directory.  Perhaps the permissions are set wrong not allowing the installer to write to it.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Sounds like installing on a multi-user system which would have an environment that restricts users to their home directories, etc.  Typically, the installer attempts to gather info about environment of the system. 

So maybe you could describe the system upon which you are trying to install: provider?  which?  am guessing Linux due to paths delimiter shared so far (/ as opposed to \), but knowing the distro of the Linux system being used provides clues.   This, for example, /flex/storage/ suggest an IBM system?  which then leads to the guess SuSIE Linux.

On such systems, operator needs to know basics of the system in order to discover specific paths and use appropriate paths during installation.   Don't think anyone in this community can do a 'Vulcan Mind Meld' remotely. ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Tarun Bhardwaj -
hi,

I tried changing config.php but its still not working..the only msg I get is Fatal error: Fatal error: $CFG->dataroot is not configured properly, directory does not exist or is not accessible! Exiting.

Can you please tell me whether I need to put relative path of data directory or the absolute path? 

I have bought hosting on online.net and am on Ubuntu 6.4 [PHP 5.6.4]

I also added a snapshot of Filezilla giving the directory structure. I'm installing from directory class and I've created a data directory called 'mdldata' 

In the config file I used - $CFG->dataroot  = '../../mdldata';

What am I doing wrong here pls?

Attachment Capture.JPG

by Tarun Bhardwaj -

And the attached snapshot describes what I get when installing without custom config file.

Attachment Capture2.JPG

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You need to change permissions so that the website can write to your folder.  You should be able to change the permissions on it from your file directory.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Tarun Bhardwaj -

Hi Emma,

I've already created a moodledata directory outside of default web directory and as per the path given during installation.

But for some unknown reason the installer is not recognizing the 'moodledata' directory to which I've already given '777' permissions.

I'm attaching the screenshots for your reference. I know there is a very small mistake but can't get my finger on it. 

Attachment Capture_7Jan II.JPG
Attachment Capture_7Jan.JPG

by Emma Richardson -

Did you also change permissions on the site folder and the www folder?