Has Moodle become thrifty?

Has Moodle become thrifty?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 23
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I get the impression that less queries on Moodle hitting resource limits arrive these days. Has Moodle become thrifty? Or, are there any other explanations?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Has Moodle become thrifty?

by Derek Chirnside -

Two thoughts:

• Less shonky providers
  • Cheaper computer power  (eg EC3 or Azure or Bluehost)

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Perhaps the Moodle code has become more efficient?

(The word shonky is very Australian)

by ben reynolds -

You're reading the wrong forums?

You're hiding threads in this forum with your hand?

Users have become more adept at avoiding shonky providers (nice word, Derek)?

In reply to ben reynolds

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It's the kind of word where you can make an accurate guess to the meaning without needing an explanation.

In reply to Marcus Green

On the main topic shonky, I guessed its meaning through "shoddy". But according to the Urban Dictionary, its "etymology" goes back to shocking+wonky, http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shonky. Then for me "wonky" too needs to be explained: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wonky. And so forth.

Well, a side topic for me is that the regulars coming up with explanations implicitly agree with me on my (subjective) impression that we get "less queries on Moodle hitting resource limits arrive these days" (?)

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Ironically I used the word wonky yesterday for the first time in years.  Must have been my English background resurfacing!

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Marcus Green -

My favorite Australian word use was bodgie. In the UK you can bodge a job, or a job can be bodged but it is never a bodgie job, a beautiful and subtle variation on the language. More confusingly was the use of the word flog to mean both sell and steal, whereas in the UK it is only ever used to mean to sell. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Marcus Green -

But to get back to the question ....

Performance may get even better soon if there is a widespread adoption of PHP7 which Moodle 3.01 supports. In the past hosting organisations have been reluctant to move to new versions of PHP because of the support overhead. However with the significant performance enhancements of PHP7 they could potentially host more sites on the same infrastructure, so it may see a quicker update than earlier updates.

In reply to Marcus Green

by ben reynolds -

Ranking this "useful" for entirely linguistic reasons.

In reply to ben reynolds

PHMs going all over!

Amazing how easily the PHMs go all over!

One word, they'e gone honky ponky!!

Re: PHMs going all over!

by Marcus Green -

Honky Ponky? that's two words and I think you just made it up. Can we have a meaning, otherwise I shall make up a meaning and attempt to spread its use in these forums.

by Rajesh Taneja -

In past few releases MoodleHQ has taken various measures for performance enhancements:

1. MoodleHQ runs moodle-performance-comparison tool before every release, to ensure there is no performance regression.
  2. There has been couple of issue which have been fixed in last couple of releases which added to the performance improvements.
  3. 3.0 has 4.7% less dbreads as compared to 2.5

I will add more information about the improvement numbers soon...

So surely the result is because of:

Improved infrastructure + php improvement + Moodle improvements.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I have no proof... but I think the forums have just generally become quieter. I'm not sure why, the nature of the requests that do come through don't seem to have changed there just aren't as many. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by AL Rachels -

I think one of the reasons the forums seem quieter is that now you have to opt in to receive all forum posts and before you had to opt out to keep from getting all of them.

When the change was first made, the number of my daily emails from Moodle dropped drastically. Once I subscribed to the forums I was interested in, my email traffic went back to about what I had been used to getting each day.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

That's interesting - all my existing subscriptions remained the same.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I switched off all notifications a long time ago... I try to keep my email pinging me to a minimum. I have enough distractions to dissuade me from doing any proper work as it is big grin

by Derek Chirnside -

Talking about distractions, this is the best article I have seen for a while.

http://time.com/4166757/focus-concentration-secrets

Way way OT now.

-Derek

In reply to AL Rachels

How to handle messages from moodle.org?

I haven't noticed any major change in the number of messages I get from moodle.org. May be, because I am not subscribed to many.

Those who want to remain subscribed but do not want to get distracted from your work, I suggest you activate some kind of mail filtering in your mail reader. Every major mail reader supports this. Basically, the messages will be pushed to separate "folders".

by Emma Richardson -

I think I would agree with that.  My emails have definitely slowed down some.  There were initially some 3.0 upgrade issues but that seems to have settled down.  Holidays might have something to do with it too though - always a little slower towards the end of one semester and start of another.

In reply to Emma Richardson

Hi Emma

I should have been more precise when I said "arrive these days". No, by "these days" I didn't mean the holiday season. I would say, since at least six months.

Also, I was not talking about messages from moodle.org in general, I said specifically "queries on Moodle hitting resource limits". If your interest is moodle.org in general, follow the sub-thread: "How to handle messages from moodle.org?"

I think it has. Not only the usual question "my site is slow" appears less often, now people go for 20k or even 80k concurrent users!
- "Advice : AWS Capacity Planning for 20,000 concurrent users" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=337550
- "hardware and software needs for a powerfull moodle server" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=337585