Restoring courses with user log data

Restoring courses with user log data

by Rob Davenport -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

We are having to restore numerous courses from backups (that include user data), and when doing so find that user activity logs are not restored. These are absolutely required, as our organisation is audited regularly, and our funding status depends on providing detailed evidence of student activity and engagement online.

I've found this Tracker issue,  recently resolved, that only applies to version 3.0: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-46455

Is there a way to restore this critical data in 2.8.8?

Does anyone know if the data is stored in the backup, and only lacking is the functionality to restore it? Thereby possibly obtaining this data by restoring in a Moodle v3.0+ install?

Is it likely to be added to the next patch for versions 2.7, 2.8 and 2.9? Eg 2.8.10

I'm amazed and disappointed that Moodle would implement a new logging system at all without the restore capability, let alone go 3 major versions without it!!!

Thanks for any info that can be provided, Rob.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Davenport

Re: Restoring courses with user log data

by Paul Lindgreen -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

We are also having the same problem for the same reasons, student activity logs are required for auditing for up to 2 years at our institutution.

If we cannot backup and restore courses with Student Activity logs is the only alternative to increase the general log storage duration, ie currently its set to 1 year? I thought keeping these logs too long would negatively impact performance?

re: Thereby possibly obtaining this data by restoring in a Moodle v3.0+ install?

Good question, I hope some moodle guru's will chime in. I would upgrade to whatever version has the ability to restore student log activities in a heartbeat. Would I be able to restore m2.7 course m2.6 installation and retreive the student activity?

In reply to Rob Davenport

Re: Restoring courses with user log data

by Paul Lindgreen -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I've been planning a workaround using our quarterly database backups/archives. Do you think restoring a 24month old moodle database in a development environment would give us access to student activity logs older than 1 year? Would those logs be wiped out after the first cron job runs to clean up anything older than 1 year?