Students dont see 'reply' - Single Simple Discussion + Separate Groups

Students dont see 'reply' - Single Simple Discussion + Separate Groups

by Usman Arshad -
Number of replies: 4

Hi

We have 120 students and i have divided them into groups.  

In the single simply type discussion forum i have enabled separate groups.

However students cannot see the 'reply' link in the forum, these students are all in a group. 

I also tested this using a test forum and a student account and get the same results. 

Can someone please help with this please? 

Kind regards

Usman

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Usman Arshad

Re: Students dont see 'reply' - Single Simple Discussion + Separate Groups

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello. If you click the help icon (question mark) next to the different types of forum when setting up your single simple discussion you will see that it says 

• A single simple discussion - A single discussion topic which everyone can reply to (cannot be used with separate groups)

So unfortunately it is not possible to use a single simple discussion with separate groups. You could use the standard forum instead.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Usman Arshad -

Hi Mary

Thanks for the quick reply. 

I took action after reading an old discussion regarding this:

1. created standard forum with separate groups
  2. For each group created a discussion.  

Wish there was a quicker way, wasn't expecting to create the same discussion for each of the 24 groups! 

Kind regards

Usman

In reply to Usman Arshad

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you are using Moodle 2.9 or higher then you shouldn't need to create the same discussion for all the groups. See https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/Using_Forum#Using_groups_with_forums

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Usman Arshad -

Thank you so much for this tip, i tested it and it works. 

Otherwise i would have been creating the discussion for each group manually again next week.