Student help & terminology

Student help & terminology

by Derek Chirnside -
Number of replies: 1

I'm just for the first time for a couple of years redoing (from scratch basically) my Moodle Onramp activity and the associated Student help.

Most themes refer to the dropdown menu (below) as "Custom Menu"

Is there a better name for this when writing help for students?

• Links to all resources in a course are found in the "This course" link on the lower top menu.
  • Bottom menu.
  • just 'menu'
  • dropdown menu
  • or ignore it all together (since there is not a lot of places to go.

Part of the problem I have is that for this site at present I'm using Flexibase with Awesome Bar on.  So at present I'm just ignoring this, and I call it the "Top menu"

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Derek Chirnside

Re: Student help & terminology

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I tend to think of it, and explain it as 'the main menu bar' of which the 'custom menu' (in flexibase anyway) is a part - but I wouldn't expect most site users to know what the custom menu is, other than those with access to the theme settings to create it in the custom menu box smile

If Im talking to users, I also tend to refer to the awesomebar as 'the top black bar', as I wouldn't expect most of them to think its particularly awesome, just that its a useful part of the interface - tends to be those of us who know what its like without it and appreciate the work that went into creating it originally who think it really is an 'awesome bar' smile But then I tend to limit the awesomebar on my work site to site admins/managers only anyway, and most of them work in the same office as me, which makes explaining 'the top black thing' much easier than when writing proper docs for it (at which point it does get labelled as 'awesomebar' in a diagram and then referred to as such in any docs.)

I think a labelled diagram such as the one you have done, with the names you want to use and then consistently use those throughout your doc is probably the best way to go