Plugin upgrade causes endless loop

Plugin upgrade causes endless loop

by Andy Chaplin -
Number of replies: 7

Hi all,

(Using 2.9)

I just upgraded a couple of plugins - Game and Poodll.  Everything appeared to be fine.  All the messages were as normal.

After that I tried to install the ForumNG plugin.  The validation checks were OK, but when I upgraded the database, I got the following screen...

I repeated the action, and then I clicked on Purge all caches, and tried again, but keep coming back to the same point.  The error seems to be coming from the game plugin, but there was no error when it updated.

Can anyone suggest what is going on here, and what I should do to get out of this loop?

All the best

Andy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andy Chaplin

Re: Plugin upgrade causes endless loop

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You've installed an older version of the mod_game plugin than you had before!

In reply to Howard Miller

by Andy Chaplin -

Hi Howard,

I gathered that much.  But since I have always done my updates through the automatic update option, it seems hard to understand how this could happen.

Also, that doesn't help me get out of the loop.

Any suggestions how I do that?

Andy

In reply to Andy Chaplin

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Just making sure wink

Hard to say what happened, but delete the plugin (using your file-manager, command line or whatever you have). This should get you running again. 

The usual reason for this is that you may have installed the 'master' version from the source-control (typically github) for the plugin. You say you didn't but regardless, some investigation will be required. 

In reply to Andy Chaplin

by Vasilis Daloukas -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Download the last version of Game (2015123103)  that fixes the above problem.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Vasilis Daloukas

by Andy Chaplin -

Thanks Howard, Vasilis!

The new version works fine.

One thing that occurs to me though, is that there's now "Cancel Installation" option (which would have got me out of the loop).  Just about every other bit of software I've seen has this option.  Why not Moodle?

All the best

Andy

In reply to Andy Chaplin

by Howard Miller -

Because, strictly speaking, you'd installed it by putting the code there. We have shot ourselves in the foot a bit by providing the web-based installation facility. The advice used to be "if it breaks your site just delete the plugin" but now people ask "I installed it through the web interface and I don't know how". I'm not precisely sure what the answer is but this needs to be properly robust and have some sort of safety-net as you suggest. 

However, as a server administrator, it still shouldn't be the end of the world to fix it through the command line / file manager wink