Upgrading through MOJO Marketplace

Upgrading through MOJO Marketplace

by Patricia Loofbourrow -
Number of replies: 5

I currently have Moodle 2.6 installed through MOJO Marketplace via WordPress. Right now, MOJO is offering one-click installs of 3.01, so I'd like to take the opportunity and upgrade now.

(I have had HORRIBLE experiences trying to upgrade on my own, so please don't suggest that route. I am not going to spend another Christmas holiday frustrated and unhappy. Also, please do not reply if you're not familiar with MOJO.)

Before I begin: What suggestions do you have for making sure my school transfers properly?

I am aware of the article here: https://docs.moodle.org/30/en/Upgrading so no need to post that again.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Patricia Loofbourrow

Re: Upgrading through MOJO Marketplace

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I've never heard of MOJO but... whatever else you do... make sure you have backups and make sure the backups are good.

Personally, I would ask whoever supports this installer if they have tested and/or support upgrading from 2.6 to 3.0.1. Because we don't know how it works then it'll be very hard to help you if it goes horribly wrong. Hence all the "do it yourself" grumbling wink

In reply to Howard Miller

Well, so far so good.

What I did was put my site on maintenance mode, copied the entire thing to another directory, then did a one-click uninstall of 2.6 through MOJO. Once that was done, I did the one-click install of 3.0.1 and copied over the config.php and the moodledata folder.

It seems to be working fine at present, although I'm having some problems with my mail (which I had before and never got fixed) and I got this error when I tried to check for updates: core_plugin/err_response_empty

Which there is no entry for when I checked the error message page.

Do I need to do anything with my PHP backup? Everything seems to be there but I thought I better ask before I let my students back in.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

What was the "thing" that you copied?  Moodle has three main parts: the mySQL database, the moodledata folder, and the moodle (application) folder.  Did you backup all three components?

If things are working for you, consider this success (for awhile.)  When you started your new moodle, did it take you through an upgrade process?

Keep whatever backup you have for a little longer.

I don't know what to suggest about your errors.  Are all of your courses and students still showing in your Moodle3 installation?

In reply to Rick Jerz

Sorry, just saw this (not getting emails for some reason).

Yes, I backed up everything, and everything seems to have made the transition.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I believe iPower uses MOJO and I have tried it before for a wordpress install but I was not impressed, and switched over to a manual install. 

However, a one click install is not necessarily an upgrade...so I would check with your hosting support and get any specific directions from them before trying it. 

I am sorry that you had trouble with upgrading on your own.  There is no guarantee unfortunately that you won't have trouble using an installer.  I hope that your host tech support is responsive because no-one here will really be able to help you if you do run into trouble with an installer.  We never know what they add or do to the core code to install it and that means that we cannot possibly know what might go wrong.