FrontPage Role

FrontPage Role

by Alison Uff -
Number of replies: 7

Hi all

Can anyone please tell me how I can restrict a role from being able to access the frontpage settings. I don't want them to see the Front Page>Front Page settings.

I have tried just about everything I know now

Thank you

Alison

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alison Uff

Re: FrontPage Role

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Alison. Which role is it that can see the front page settings, and which settings exactly can they see?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alison Uff -

Hi Mary

We have had to create a new role for course administrators as we have to restrict more access than is usual

The role at present can see the front page settings and can make changes to the full site name etc

In reply to Alison Uff

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you need to restrict "course administrators" (is that a custom role or is that your word for editing teachers? then it's surprising the role is giving them more access and not less. Is this role assigned in the system context? If so, then that might explain it. Is it possible to keep course administrators within the course context? 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alison Uff -

Thanks Mary

Unfortunately these "course administrators" have also got to be able to change users passwords too. We have a service desk role that can only do user password changes but for some strange reason I cannot see how we restricted that role from seeing FrontPage settings sad

In reply to Alison Uff

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Alison,

Is your new role a "system" role and have the following permission "moodle/course:update" ?

If so, edit the Front Page 'permissions' to remove this permission from that role. That should in turn remove the Edit Settings cog. I just came across that connection recently. 

As Mary said, it's best see what you can do to make it a role at a lower context if possible -- system roles  give unexpected privileges to users that you may not realize/intend to give.

In reply to John Provasnik

by Ali Hastie -

Hi

We are looking for an individual user who has multiple roles throughout Moodle with the ability to edit Moodle users passwords on the frontpage.

I have tried with the Managers role but the user sees the Admin block on the homepage but does not see a link to edit the users accounts. Checked that the role can edit profiles etc.

Admin block

Using Moodle 3.1 version.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ali