Teaching with Moodle

Speech Recognition For Moodle

Picture of Abhishek Gupta
Speech Recognition For Moodle

Hi everyone,

Our team has developed a plugin that provides speech recognition functionality in Moodle. As of now this feature is used by a few schools and universities for their English as a second language program (ESL). Teachers use this plugin to help ESL students practice speaking and improve their pronunciation.

We are now considering releasing the plugin in to the Moodle plugin directory. Since that is a lot of work, I wanted to check if a larger community of teachers, who use Moodle, may be interested.

If you would like to install this plugin in to your Moodle system then please reply back on this thread. As an FYI, this is a paid plugin and a short 3 min demo video is available here:

Many thanks for your feedback.

Cheers!

Abhishek

Average of ratings: Useful (9)
Frankie's the name, Moodle's my game!
Re: Speech Recognition For Moodle
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers
Hi Abhishek

Can this be used for language speaking tests?
I am interested. My E-mail address is boonsengkam at gmail dot com.

Regards
Frankie Kam, Malaysia

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Hi Frankie,

Thanks for replying back. Yes, it can be used as a speaking test. Great idea! Let me send you trial instructions.

Abhishek

Picture of William Lu
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Looks cool! I'd like to try it.

Thanks

Sure William! Let me send you trial instructions.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Picture of William Lu
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Works very well, I got the feedback as below for my  Chinglish, LoL shy

Average Quality: 77%. Try to get higher than 80% for full grade.

Average of ratings: -

It is likely because of the echo from the microphone. It does better with a headset microphone. Let me e-mail you other details. Thanks for the feedback smile!

Not just cool - Uber Cool. I have a question.

Are the Syllable and Phoneme links generated on-the-fly?

In all my years of teaching English with Moodle, I have never seen anything like this - a decompositioning of a speech recording. Phenomenal.

Regards
Frankie Kam 

HAHA! Thanks for noticing. Indeed yes, the user's speech is decomposed on the fly.

Cheers!

Abhishek

I'm guessing that the expert speech is generated by a Text-To-Speech engine. And there engines with that create voices from USA, UK, Australia, even Asian voices, both in male or female voices.

As of now we are using text to speech for American speech. However, our question type allows a teacher to record their own audio for expert audio. That way they can replace the expert audio with their own smile

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Don Hinkelman

Dear Abhishek,

Thanks very much. I would like to test your plugin and perhaps write a review. By the way, for my school and perhaps others, we are interested in discourse pronunication (sentence stress, sentence intonation within extended discourse). Is that part of your lessons?

Thanks, Don (hinkel at sgu.ac.jp)

Hi Don,

Sure, let me send you an e-mail with a test account to our Moodle site. We have word level stress right now and are working on sentence level stress. However, as you can imagine sentence level stress varies by the context of the sentence and therefore makes it quite hard to develop. However, we anticipate having a usable version in the next six months or so. We can see then if it is of use to you or at the least get some feedback from you.

More on e-mail. 

Cheers!

Abhishek

Matt Bury

Hi Abhishek,

The software looks great. Thanks for sharing! smile

It'd be nice to have an online, more shareable interface for collaborative work between linguists, speech analysts, etc. I can see a lot of online MA and Ph.D Linguistics and SLA courses being interested in this.

For reference, the currently most favoured software for speech analysis is a free and open source desktop application called Praat. See: http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/praat/ It's feature rich and highly flexible but it's also highly technical and takes a long time to learn to use.

smile

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your feedback. As of now we are a bit focused on the ESL part however we do have a web API and if you feel interested would you consider helping us build the tool for researchers? Our API is quite simple to use but we are a bit short of hand to develop something new.

If you are busy too smile, please suggest a few features that may be interesting to researchers and I can add them to our roadmap.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Matt Bury

Hi again Abhishek,

I suggest contacting university linguistics and SLA departments directly to see if they have anyone doing a thesis related to or using speech analysis software that would like to collaborate.

Thanks for the idea Matt! I shall look in to it.

Picture of Hoang Duy Truong
Trả lời: Re: Speech Recognition For Moodle

This is what i've been so long looking for! Can i try it first, please?

My email address is thduy@live.com

Thanks in advance.

Picture of AL Rachels
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

Hi Abhishek,

Looks like a very useful add-on. I would love to try it out too.

Thanks,

AL

Hi Al, I messaged you the trial details. Let me know if you have any feedback or comments.

Thanks,
Abhishek

Picture of Pro Idiomas

I would like to participate. My email es proidiomas@hotmail.com Thanks in advanced.

Sure, I sent you a trial account on your e-mail. Let me know if you have any feedback or questions.

Thanks,
Abhishek

Picture of AL Rachels
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

I enjoyed getting to try this out. I can see that it would be really helpful, not only for foreign language classes, but for some the special needs students I had over the years. Also, at our school every year, we always had a few students who needed additional help with various aspects of speech and reading training. I can see this would be very handy for that.

Even though I am now retired, I would love to try and integrate it into my Moodle to try it out for the way I taught computer applications.

Thanks so much for the feedback. Let's chat about integration over e-mail.

ThirumaN

Hi, I was asking my computer science students to develop one like this for sometime. Great to know about this. Can I check this plugin, I would like to test for Indian english . mail me at venkatesanrpu@gmail.com

Hi Venkat, I sent you a trial account on your e-mail. Thanks!

Picture of Nelson Bartley

I have been interested in starting a project like this for a while, and would love to see what your add-on looks like. 

Hi Nelson, Sure. I messaged you trial details.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Picture of Niels Kokholm Nielsen

Dear Sir,

Yes, very interested. I'm willing to buy the plugin. How do I contact you?

My mail is kokholmnielsen@me.com

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best,

Nielsen

Hello Nielsen, Sure, I e-mailed you regarding pricing. Let's chat more over e-mail.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Hi AG

I demo'ed the system to my colleagues including the CEO. Mostly positive responses. Some were singing its praises, others were not so emotional. Some saw the *value* in it if the Expert voices were in Mandarin (Chinese) - for learning Mandarin!

I have a question. To what degree does the Expert Voice and the recorded voice influence/affect the comparison readings? For example, in these use-cases:

1. if the Expert voice were in an actual recorded voice instead of the text-to-voice output. 
The recorded voice is my normal voice. How would the outcome be affected?

2. If the Expert voice were in British accent instead of an American voice. Assuming the input voice was my normal voice, would there be any marked differences in the comparison percentage?

3. Let's say the Expert voice were in a heavily subcontinent-Indian-accented voice, and the input voice is my normal voice, what is the outcome?

4. Or if the Expert voice were in a female British accent, and the input/recorded voice is my male voice, but I put a special concerted effort to speak in an Indian accent, how would that affect the readings?

Or something like that. Any ideas or thoughts?

Regards
Frankie Kam 

Hi Frankie,

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it and please convey my thanks to the folks on your team who tried the system.

To answer your question - The expert voices are only for reference purposes and do not have any impact on the scoring algorithm. The scoring algorithms are built out of separate audio recordings based on American accent. So while you can have any accent/dialect/gender in the expert voices, the user's score only depends upon how closely their pronunciation/accent matches the American English accent.

All the use cases you outline above have the same response - The outcome will only depend upon how similar your pronunciation is to American accent.

Please let me know if you have more questions or feedback.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Picture of Miki Alliel
Group Translators

Hi ,

It Looks very interesting . I would love to try it out too.

Thank you,

Miki

Sure Miki. I sent you the trial info.

Picture of Albert Leatherman

Hi Abhishek, cool product! Could I also try it with my Moodle? My email is bertleatherman at gmail dot com. Thanks.

Sure, sent you the details on e-mail smile.

Picture of Najeeb Haider Zaidi

Hi Abhishek,

I am interested in evaluating and buying the plugin, kindly contact me at zaidi.nh@gmail.com

Hi Najeeb,

Thanks so much for expressing interest. I sent you the trial details on your e-mail.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Picture of Shop Ping

I would like to try it.

Sure, sent you a message with trial details.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Picture of Kimberly Solis

I am also very interested in this plugin.  I imagine it can be configured for use teaching any language...?

Please send me trial and purchase information.

Thanks!

Hi Kimberly, Thanks for writing. I sent you a personal message with the trial and pricing information. As of now the system is only available for English learners.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Picture of Dimo Dimov

Hi Abhishek,

We would like to install this plugin into our system. Thanks!

Cheers,
Dimo

Sure, I sent you trial and pricing information. Let me know your thoughts.

Picture of Fabricio Souza

Good afternoon Abhishek Gupta , I'm from Brazil and I'm auditioning api voice , I would like to test your api , how do ? e-mail : fabricio@pillow.ac

Picture of Scott Bingham

Abhishek,

Looks very interesting. I would love to give it a try. 

Please send access info to  

binghamscott  at  hotmail.com

thanks,

scott 

Picture of Rekha C

Hi Abhishek,

Would like to try the module, just to test, for possibility of use in my language courses.

Have posted contact info on your site.

Rekha  

José de Jesús

Peace.

Dear Abhishek:

Can you send me information about the plugin?
My email is profelizarraras@gmail.com

Thank you very much.

Picture of Asif Khan

Hi Abhishek

It looks like a great work that you have done, i would like to check this plugin, please send me details of trial version. I would be thankful to you.my e-mail address is

asifkhan@sstpsr.edu.pk

Thank you 

Picture of Peter Onyx

Hi Abhishek,

I am interested in trying out the plugin. Please also kindly send me the pricing details. Thank you. smile

Picture of Francisco Gómez

I am also very interested in this plugin.  Can it be installed in any version of Moodle and future versions?. Is it compatible with Essential Theme?

Please send me trial and purchase information.

Thanks!

Picture of Nadjib Abbidi

Hi Sir,

This looks a great tool, I am very interested to introduce it to teachers in our school. Could you please assist me.

Regards.

Picture of Jean-Luc Delghust

Hi

This looks great. I'd be interested if you could get in touch with us (jean-luc.delghust AT uclouvain.be), if a trial is still possible.
Also, would this work with other languages? We're particularly interested in EFL (French as a foreign language)

Looking forward to hearing from you...

Picture of Harish sekar

Hi Abishek,

i would like to try this out. My email is harishds91@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance.

Picture of Francisco Gómez

I teach in a Primary School and I am very interested in using your  speech Recognition For Moodle plugin. Can you tell me what I have to do?

Thank you a lot. 

Picture of Deep Bansal

This looks cool! I'd like to try it. Could you please provide the Demo account with credentials so that i can use and move forward for this.

Thanks,

Deep

Picture of Pierre Guerim

Hello

I am also interested, could you provide infos to test it ?

Picture of Ahmed El-Shimi

Hello everyone,

First of all, many thanks to all of you who showed interest and provided feedback. We are officially launching the next version of our speech recognition moodle plugin. 

Speechace revolutionizes teaching, practice and assessment of spoken language in a way never done before. We would appreciate if you'd give it a try and share your feedback.

Try it here: https://app.speechace.co/speechace-for-moodle/

With Speechace, students practice, get immediate feedback, and teachers review progress and create custom lessons and content.

The Speechace plugin is implemented as a Moodle question type and provides the following features:

• Realtime feedback at a word, syllable and phoneme level pinpointing mistakes in pronunciation
  • Automatic speech scoring against a native speaker model
  • Automatic generation of reference audio using state of the art text to speech software
  • Allows recording of your own audio to instruct students
  • Allows creation of custom pronunciation material using our ever expanding 100,000 word dictionary
  • Supports all question behaviors
  • Simple click and install with no external dependencies.
  • Works across Moodle 2.7-3.2
  • Is fast and responsive and works across all browsers and mobile phones. No app required for Android phones. Contact us for iPhone/iPad support.
  • Supports native HTML5 audio or Adobe Flash if HTML5 not available

We are grateful to the Moodle community for providing extensive feedback over the past year and we are counting on your support for further enhancement of the plugin.

Cheers,

Ahmed El-Shimi

https://app.speechace.co/speechace-for-moodle/