Suggestions to Quiz developers

Suggestions to Quiz developers

by Nasser Alzayed -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all

Here I shall put some suggestions to make quiz authoring easier, faster, or possibly more powerful.

I invite others to share their ideas in this regard as well (using this thread).

My experience goes from v. 2.5 up to 2.91 so far.

I hope this is the right place for these suggestions.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nasser Alzayed

Re: Suggestions to Quiz developers

by Nasser Alzayed -

My first suggestion is to be called “Quiz Documentation”

For most of the quiz types offered by Moodle, there are several input windows (fields). For instance you can type the question text, feedback, answer (s), etc.

However; we miss what I think is important (Rich Text) input field to document the quiz. In particular, some quizzes you would like to add some hints, reminders, or even method of solving of that quiz. More important, calculated formula requires a formula to be typed. But the formula is not very self-explanatory. Accordingly the documentation filed would allow the author to put any thing that can help him/her to remember or help others (if authorized) to know how the quiz was  built.

quiz documentation filed is hidden from normal users and can only be displayed as an option during re-editing of the quiz or even during a preview of the quiz.

(picture is attached)

Attachment 12-18-2015 09-24-30 PM.png

by Nasser Alzayed -

In my previous idea, I think the "Documentation Field" can be independent of the quiz plug-in and be a feature of moodle at large. It may even show in other places of moodle inputs if necessary.

by Nasser Alzayed -

Action Buttons:

1.       When using Calculated Multiple Choice Question type (or many other types), at the end one has to hit (Save Changes) Button. It is a good idea to have that same button also available at the top of the page. As a general rule, I would prefer to have all action buttons available at both bottom as well as top of the page just to save a lot of time and work scrolling every time just to hit a button!.  This feature is available in Blackboard and is very helpful. I would like to see it in our beloved moodle

T

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Nasser Alzayed -

one more suggestion ...

Changing default values (parameters) of a question while editing the question.

As in the figure shown, for instance when the Admin is interested to change default values, one way is to just create a question and set defaults from within the question. Here we want to make 10 marks as a default, one can just press the adjacent button, get confirmation dialogue and confirm to finalize. Only moodle admins can do this, for teachers, changes can be applied only to their profile.

making defaults

by Nasser Alzayed -

In a reply to my "Action Buttons" suggestion, I just discovered that some Themes can provide a solution for the suggested functionality. Example is the Essential theme (click here). This theme provides a floating buttons that include Save Changes and Cancel buttons. Thanks to Barnard for this useful tool.