prevent login from the same ip address for a time

prevent login from the same ip address for a time

by Mohammed awad -
Number of replies: 13

Hello every body

I have a cases of cheating problem in the Moodle quiz, which is that some of the students tested and submit his answers, and then logs out from his personal account, and then logs in from his absent colleague account and then performs the exam instead of him. I thought about a solution, and I found it to be a freeze login again after the final submit of the answers for the quiz  for a full exam time (e.g two or three hours) so I prevent the login of any person from the same ip after he submit the answers and log off. Please help me.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mohammed awad

Re: prevent login from the same ip address for a time

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Would that really solve the problem?

Might it block legitimate users (e.g. two users who both use the same computer in the Library, one after the other, without cheating.)

The alternative is to confront the students with the evidence you have: Two attempts from the same computer, one immendiately after the other. Identical responses given. Second attempt completed in much shorter time than the first. If the evidence is that clear, then can't you just invoke whatever disciplinery procedures you have at your institution?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mohammed awad -
I want to prevent a try before it occurs, because we have an examination hall of 150 PC, and each student has a device sitting on it. No one deals with this hall (that have this version of Moodle system) not only to perform the examswe do not use it as a library or other Moodle system activities. So if a student was submitted answers and log out of the system, the system to freeze access to the computer untill exam ends.

by John Okely -

As pointed out by Tim, this may not solve the problem. After all if the two colleagues are working together on this, they would easily be able to use two different computers to take the two quizzes

If possible, I would change the "review options" so that the correct answers cannot be seen until after the quiz closes. Realistically this is the only way to make certain that students cannot collaborate and cheat by finding out the answers.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Okely

by Mohammed awad -

We actually use all security options in the quiz system within Moodle, we do not show the correct answers to students only after the end of the exam to all of them. We also give each student a computer to him alone until the end of the exam.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Cheating can not be stopped by technical means - it will hurt genuine users. You have to tackle cheating in three fronts: a) the administrative front, like punishing who were caught b) supervising by human intervention c) known technical means like the lock-in browsers, example http://safeexambrowser.org, kiosk systems, example http://www.porteus.org/.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Mohammed awad -

We do this already, but the number of people caught cheating a little practice, we want to prevent the event from start

In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by T K -
I have installed the SEB in my pc, but I am not sure how to link my quiz to open in the SEB, can you help? Havent found much info on it online.

THanks

In reply to T K

by T K -

any help on this?

Can we set the Users to only login on one window/browser at a time? Is it possible?

by Mohammed awad -

I want some one to show me a plugin, or some one help me to program one to solve this problem ... Please

by Mohammed awad -

Please some one help me, We have an exams after 10 days & i need to solve the problem before

by Simon Rediss-Whitfield -

Hi Mohammed,

If I have understood your issue correctly then no there is no way to stop this, other than invigilating the exams or deferring the feedback.

I suppose an experimental way could be https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/Safe_exam_browser

In collaboration with deferred feedback there would be no way of knowing if the answers entered were correct, at the same time I have never used this option so you would need to test this.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Are you sure that you want to _prevent_ them from cheating, not to catch the cheaters? You knew that Moodle logs the IP addresses. So it is pretty easy to catch the cheaters.