Text editors

Text in Section Summary Description block is stuck in bold format

Picture of Geoff Hyde
Text in Section Summary Description block is stuck in bold format

Dear fellow users,

In one particular course on my site, any text I add in (most) Section Summary areas on the Course's home page always appears bold to the user, even though the same text appears unbolded while editing (using the WYSIWYG mode).

For example if the text below is added (in HTML editing mode)....

<p><br></p><p><br></p><p>This text is NOT formatted bold.</p><p><br></p><p>

<b>This text is formatted bold.</b><br></p>

...... then the first and second text blocks will both appear in bold to the site user (e.g see the comparison of User view versus Editor view (WYSIWYG mode) in the pics attached.

This problem just crept in somehow yesterday to this particular course. It does not affect previously created courses, nor any course that I create now. Also, the very first Section summary does not exhibit this glitch either.

Any ideas? I suppose I can just import everything into a new edition of the course

Moodle version: 2.8.5

PHP version: 5.4.43

Cheers

Geoff

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Ken Task
Re: Text in Section Summary Description block is stuck in bold format
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Are there any blocks (other elements where a 'b' tag could be turned on) in the left column of the course?

Once a <b> tag is turned on ... it's not turned off until the corresponding 'bold off' tag.

A screen snap of the course screen (with editing turned off) might help determine if there is an element (like a block/other) before the behavior begins.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Geoff Hyde

Thanks Ken for taking time out to help with this, much appreciated!

Ive attached a screenshot of the course screen which shows the transition from where things work as they should (Class 1 Summary)  to where they don't (Class 2 Summary, most of which should not be bolded).

I didn't follow your thinking (I didn't know bolding in one block could carry over to another), but thats maybe because I'm expecting things to work too logically smile

Thanks again!

Geoff

Picture of Richard Oelmann
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Well, the 'logical' way is for it to follow general css rules - your page is simply that at the end of the day, a whole web page and if one of your labels towards the end of section 1 has a <b> or <strong> tag that is not properly closed, then that will continue to affect the rest of the page.

Picture of Geoff Hyde

Ahh thanks Richard, excellent, I hadn't realised that formatting could carry on down through sections like that, probably explains many other 'curiosities' over the years.

One of the blocks of text used in my Class 1 labels did not have a properly closed <b>. Fixing that has fixed everything else.

I can understand Ken's thinking now too.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me.

Geoff

Picture of Richard Oelmann
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

The easiest way to consider it Geoff, is that the sections are no more than Moodle's way of organising the content of the page - but that the html and css is applied across an entire page as with any standard webpage, whether its part of a cms/lms/vle or a straight forward webpage. All the browser actually sees is the final 'published' html/css (and javascript), whether that comes from the theme, the blocks and plugins, or the user created content. The browser doesn't see Moodle's organisation of content into topic or weekly sections or its blocks and plugins, just the webpage in its entirety.

So, we do get issues sometimes when a theme designer, or a user, forgets to close a div or a strong, or something similar - or where copying and pasting content from MSWord into a content area affects the whole page, not just that content area.

You wont have been the first to ask similar questions and I'm sure you will be far from the last, I'm just happy it was an easy one to resolve for you smile

Picture of Geoff Hyde

Thanks Richard, its very helpful to get that broader overview! 

And hopefully the knowledge has found it into my permanent memory storage --and it won't be me asking the same question next year smile

cheers

geoff

Picture of Ken Task
Particularly helpful Moodlers

+1 to what Richard said ... specifically, what does "Geoff's Resources HIdden" look like?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Geoff Hyde

Ken the '"Geoff's Resources Hidden" is just a Label I use for each Class area. Im always revising this course, so I put files, etc that I might not use in this edition, but might reuse in a future edition, below that label, so they are easy to find.

It was another Label, TASKS in Class 1 that was the actual offender, with an unclosed <b>

Thanks!

Geoff