Collapsed Topics toggles, accessibility and the space bar.

Collapsed Topics toggles, accessibility and the space bar.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make Collapsed Topics more accessible by adding the ARIA button information: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Accessibility/ARIA/ARIA_Techniques/Using_the_button_role - which I've done, however the 'space bar' detection is not working for me with the JS line in module.js:

Y.delegate('key', this.toggleClick, 'up:32', 'ul.ctopics .toggle', this);

Ref: http://yuilibrary.com/yui/docs/event/key.html

however, in testing I've found that the 'enter' key works to activate the toggle on and off.  Is this OK to use instead of the space bar?

Cheers,

Gareth

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Collapsed Topics toggles, accessibility and the space bar.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Humm,

Even tried...

Y.use('node-event-delegate', 'event-key', function (Y) {
        Y.delegate('key', M.format_topcoll.toggleClick, 'up:32', 'ul.ctopics .toggle');
    });

and

YUI().use('node-event-delegate', 'event-key', function (Y) {
        Y.delegate('key', M.format_topcoll.toggleClick, 'up:32', 'ul.ctopics .toggle');
    });

and

YUI().use('node-event-delegate', 'event-key', function (Y) {
        Y.delegate('key', M.format_topcoll.toggleClick, 'up:32', 'ul.ctopics .toggle', M.format_topcoll);
    });

but sad

by Kim Salinas -
Picture of Testers

Hi Gareth

I would think the Enter key would work just as well as the Space bar. It just need to be stated what key works.

In reply to Kim Salinas

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thanks Kim, do you know of any 'standard' that states what the keys are expected to be?

by Kim Salinas -
Picture of Testers

Gareth

Unfortunately all I know about are the OS system shortcut keys (here is what the US has for Mac and Windows).