If you wish to use a service name, that is ok. The current registration process is very simple. You can use the same registration key on multiple sites. The site url is for reference at this stage, but please leave the trailing slash off.
The purpose of requiring people to register, is so that I can contact the right people about PoodLL developments. These communications will not be often. They will likely be information about upcoming releases, broken functionality, questions about PoodLL usage, but there will be news about commercial matters too.
I had planned to impose a paywall on this version of PoodLL but I was worried that the word had really not gotten out about that. And as you mention, we need to give institutions fair lead time for this sort of thing. So it seemed too abrupt and the lack of a PoodLL for Moodle 3 was preventing people upgrading. So I decided to simply require registration so that I could communicate with the key people to manage the transition more smoothly.
The current version of PoodLL will remain available indefinitely (and any security/bug fixes). Later versions will be premium. Any new release from now on will be premium. I am estimating that institutions will pay $US800 per year, but I want to keep the option available for individual teachers to continue to use PoodLL.. I am still thinking through how best to do that.
The revenue will pay for more reliable release dates that match those of Moodle. And it will pay for the addition of a host of new features. The plan is to hire some help for those. The wishlist includes:
- Cloud hosting of PoodLL recordings
- Cloud hosting of media files
- HTML5 audio and video recorders
- HTML5 audio and video players
- HTML5 snapshots
- Contributions to the Literally Canvas whiteboard codebase
- A mobile application for PoodLL
- Data logging on all aspects of PoodLL use
- Multiple education purposed HTML5 audio players (once players, mini players, subtitle players)
- An audio recorder with built in shadowing and mirroring functions
- Full HTML5 and audio enabled flashcards
- Skinnable audio and video recorders
- An html5 widgets icon for the Atto editor
Almost none of this will be available immediately however. It is something to look forward to!