Generico Showcase

Re: Generico Showcase

by Michael Milette -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Miguel,

Moodle is mostly written in PHP. You can learn how to develop in Moodle by going to https://learn.moodle.org and taking the free self-paced Moodle plugin development basics course.

Also read Getting started in Moodle Development

Hope you find this useful.

Best regards,

Michael Milette
In reply to Michael Milette

by Miguel Bejarano -

Excellent,  Michael, thanks. I had always believed that PHP was a startup file (like index.html).

Now, I have a trial version of Moodle on a server, and I am an administrator there. But at school, I am a teacher who does not have access to the Moodle administration; only to the administration of the course.

So, before starting, I want to know if PHP can be immersed in the course activities, without having to install anything; because the school has its rules and does not want to install additional things.

Thanks

(Google translation, so I hope it is clear)

In reply to Miguel Bejarano

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Miguel,

Moodle requires a web server which include Apache, a database server like MySQL or PostgreSQL and PHP. These need to run on a computer or virtual machine running Linux or Windows connected to a network or the Internet. The number of active concurrent users will determind the configuration requirements of the environment (CPU, Memory, etc). For example, you could run Moodle on as little as a Raspberry PI or a laptop, but you may not be able to support more than a few active concurrent users and it will require a static IP address (one that does not change).

Another option, is to get a hosting service on the Internet (i.e. the Cloud). You will find all price levels available. You may even find good deals for educators. Always check what the pricing will be after their introductory offer. An initially attractive offer could double or more.

You can get a free MoodleCloud site for up to 45 days. While their pricing plans after that may seem a little expensive, keep in mind that they take care of maintaining almost everything related to the web server and Moodle such as applying upgrades, security and bug fixes. You just need to manage your students and your courses. It also includes BigBlueButton, the video conferencing platform. Because it is a fully supported environment, your options to customize your Moodle site may be limited.

If that is out of your price range, here are a couple of virtual private server (VPS) alternatives:

If you are familiar with Linux and can figure out how to set up a web server on your own, Digital Ocean is a good deal. For just $5 USD per month on a month-to-month basis (not just an introductory offer), you can get your own VPS with 1 GB of memory, 1 CPU and 25 GB of disk space. You need to set-up everything including the operating system, web and database server, and Moodle. But that should be good for up to about 50 concurrent active users. They even offer the first 60 days for free with no obligation.

If you are not comfortable with that option, take a look at Cloudways, a Digital Ocean reseller. For an extra $5 USD per month, they will set up and maintain the operating system, web and database server and maintain the environment for you. This is called Managed Hosting. Settibg up and maintaining Moodle and its database is still up to you. Their free trial period is only 3 days but look around the Internet for coupon codes to extend this.

I have several clients (including me) using Digital Ocean/Cloudways, who are quite satisfied.

As your needs grow, you can upgrade your plan for more CPU, memory, disk space without having to move or do anything to your website. You can also add daily backups to your plan.

You will also need is a domain name. The average cost is between $10-20 USD per year but that can vary.

The best part is that, because it really is your own Moodle site, you can take it with you if every you are unhappy with the hosting service. Some companies will even move your existing Moodle site for you.

As you can start to see, pricing can vary considerably. The more you need to depend on the expertise of others and the more concurrent active users you expect to have, the more it will cost. These are by no means the only options available. I encourage you to shop around and compare.

If you want to discuss this further, I recommend that you take a look at other forums here on Moodle.org for ones that are more related to hosting as this one is more for discussing the excellent Generlco plugin.

Hope you find something in all this useful.

Best regards,

Michael
In reply to Miguel Bejarano

by Michael Milette -
Only HTML, CSS and sometimes JavaScript can usually be integrated into courses. You can sometimes extend this with plugins written in PHP but that requires you to install the code on the server.