Email notifications for assignment grades for student

Re: Email notifications for assignment grades for student

by Jizu Sun -
Number of replies: 7

Me, too.

My SMTP is working, e.g. when manually enrolled into Moodle, students get registration email letter successfully, and  I use 'Event Reminders' plugin to notify them coming events with email.

But, when I finished grading assignment, they got no email notification.

I'm using Moodle 3.1 dev (master), and I referenced this guide:

but found no explicit result.

Can you give me some hint?

In reply to Jizu Sun

by Khari Kambon -
Did you ever get this resolved?  we are  on 2.9.4 and having the same problem- the students won't get an email notification after the teacher grades the assignment.  It's crazy because it used to work and now all of a sudden it doesn't/ One site sends them, the other doesn't.  I've checked everything there is to check. What could be causing this?
In reply to Khari Kambon

by Zhivko Z -

Hi,

I use 3.1.2 and the assignment notifications don't work for me either. I don't get notified when a student submits an assignment, and the students don't get notified when I grade them. Sometimes an email notification would go to the student with a 40-120min delay.

I worked with my hosting provider on the issue, and they cannot figure it out either.

I spend 4 days working on this issue and trying all kinds of setting configurations. Wondering if this is an issue with the newer versions of Moodle...?! Should we try installing an older version?

In reply to Zhivko Z

by Sharon Strauss -
Picture of Testers

Hello,

I have been struggling with this too. I have turned off Moodle messaging, because many people find it annoying and don't understand when, where, or how to find Moodle messages. Instead, I am trying to send all messages to email.

I found a couple of things that have helped get assignment notification emails to go out to students, but it is still not always working.

I have found that I need to have Site_administration ->Plugins->Message_outputs->Manage_message_outputs pop-up_notifications OFF. Strangely, allow I disabled that setting in October this year, I just found it enabled again. Maybe it was reset when we did a dot update from 3.0.5 to 3.0.6?

Also, I find the whole Messaging settings confusing--especially the Default method outputs:Site administration -> Plugins -> Message_outputs->Default_message_outputs

Finally, I wonder to what extent, if any, MDL-36941 is causing problems with notification.

If anyone has info, please share!!!!

In reply to Sharon Strauss

by Sharon Strauss -
Picture of Testers

FYI: I figured out what happened with my attempts to disable pop-up nofications. There are two places to do this. I had disabled pop-up only for assignments last month via Site administration -> Plugins -> Message_outputs->Default_message_outputs

Yesterday I disabled all popup notifications via Site_administration ->Plugins->Message_outputs->Manage_message_outputs pop-up_notifications OFF

So at this that part of the puzzle makes sense.

In reply to Sharon Strauss

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Sharon,

I see that you are using Moodle 3.0.6, so you might be interested to know that Moodle 3.2 is due for release soon and has improved, in my opinion, the Moodle internal message system. Instead of the pop-up at the bottom right, that is very easy to overlook, you now get a red square with white text indicator at the top right corner of the page by the user name, that is persistent no matter where you navigate to in Moodle, until you click on it.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Mohammad kabir -

Hi,

I am using moodle 3.2.1. Do not get 'red square with white text indicator at the top right'  notification of message. What could be the reason? If anybody has any idea?