Grading Rubrics one criterion at a time

Grading Rubrics one criterion at a time

by Murphy Waggoner -
Number of replies: 3

For multi-task projects I want to be able to record information in a Moodle rubric as the project goes along.  For instance, one criterion of a rubric is that the students consult with me, and so I would like to record that in the rubric and write a note about what happened in the consultation.  That way, when I go back in to grade the criterion 'used instructor feedback in final paper' I know what the feedback was that they were supposed to use.

However, when I try this I get "Please choose something for each criterion".

Is there a setting that I could have used in creating the rubric so that I can grade one criterion at a time?  Otherwise, I would need to record that information somewhere else, such as on a paper rubric, and that defeat the value of having the Moodle rubric and make the time it took to create the Moodle rubric seem like a waste.

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Murphy Waggoner

Re: Grading Rubrics one criterion at a time

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

What you may be looking for is to be using the Workshop module instead of the assignment module. There is a video in this link on how it works.

For the rubric, what do you currently use as your First step ('zero') in each category? Could you rename the first step in each criterion something like T.B.D. (To Be Determined) or N.Y.A. (Not Yet Assessed)? You're then essentially grading the other criteria as 'zeroes' until you are ready to go back and assign an actual grade, but then you'll be able to focus on just grading one criteria at a time:

In reply to Murphy Waggoner

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Murphy,

At the moment the rubric in Moodle requires you to answer all criteria. So if you want to use rubrics, John's suggestion seems to be a good workaround.

If you can use the Dataform module, you could accomplish your multi-task project with progressive feedback. The Dataform module allows multiple grades, a grade calculation and a progressive access to views. Here is a screen shot how it could look like:

multi-task project

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Murphy Waggoner -

We don't have Dataforms, but I requested the module be included in our winter upgrade.

I have sort of been using the "Will be graded at a later time" option with rubrics, but have added that comment each time.  Renaming the 0 level is a good option.  I might use that for the assignment I am doing now.

I didn't know about the Workshop option, although I see it is available to us.  I can see opportunities for using it in the future.  On the other hand, can I use it without having students evaluation other's work?  I haven't had time to test it out yet.

Thanks for your help!