Automatic minimum grade for lesson

Automatic minimum grade for lesson

by Frank Leone -
Number of replies: 6

Dear all,

We use lessons extensively in our online course, with a special focus on self-reflection and open questions. This means that quite often there are no multiple-choice questions. However, when students then hand it in, they automatically get the minimum grade (a 1 in our case), which I assume is because it calculates the score based on the multiple-choice questions, which I have none.

Can this automatic grading be turned off? I just want the lesson to stay on ungraded, until it is actually graded. 

Thanks  a lot in advance,

best,

Frank

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Leone

Re: Automatic minimum grade for lesson

by Frank Leone -

Hmm... I thought I could solve it by setting the minimum number of questions (in settings, grade), but that just makes it impossible to hand the lesson in at all. So, still at a loss how to fix this. It seems strange though, can't imagine this is intended behavior.

Thanks,

Frank

In reply to Frank Leone

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Hi Frank,

I am not sure what is going on.  I went to my Moodle 3.0 localhost and created a lesson with 2 pages, Content page and an Essay question page.  I had custom grades turned on in my lesson settings. I gave one point for the essay question and 100 points for the lesson.

A student entered the Lesson, jumped to the Essay question, answered it and left.  The exit screen showed my student:

• Your current grade without the essay question(s) is 0 out of 1.
  • Your current grade is 0.0 out of 100

I change the points for the essay question to 0.   It said:

• Your current grade without the essay question(s) is 0 out of 0.
  • Your current grade is 0.0 out of 100
When custom scoring was set to No, a student saw the first set.

If this is not helping, what is your student seeing that you want changed?

Guessing if your student is showing a grade or something like 1 of 100, then custom scoring is set to "no" and you have some sort of non-essay question in the mix.  When custom scoring is set to no, answers that advance the student in the edit order count as a correct answer, those answer that sent the student back are counted as wrong.

Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by Frank Leone -

Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. This is the same behavior as I see. However, what happens for me is that the student already gets a grade in the grade book, when the open question hasn't been scored yet. This also means (when activity completion is set on grade) that the activity is set as completed. However, it should only give it a grade and mark it as complete when the assignment has actually been fully graded.

What do you see in your grade book when you left the essay question ungraded? Curious to hear,

thanks a lot,

Frank

In reply to Frank Leone

by Frank Leone -

Anyone else also experiencing this problem? Thanks in advance,

Frank

In reply to Frank Leone

by David Powell -

Yes - a student of mine kept resubmitting the lesson, unaware perhaps that the 'essay' type was manually marked.  Well, even if he understood that, Moodle apparently didn't: the red cross was obviously distressing.

This had a high profile, because it was the last activity pending for a complete certificate course. 

In reply to Frank Leone

by כנרת מאיר -

Hey Frank,

I am experiencing the same problem - did you manage to solve this?

Thank you!

Kineret