Liu et al (2015) - An enhanced learning analytics plugin for Moodle: student engagement and personalised intervention

Liu et al (2015) - An enhanced learning analytics plugin for Moodle: student engagement and personalised intervention

by David Jones -
Number of replies: 6
G'day All,

Have just read the following paper from ASCILITE 2015 (recently held in Perth)

Liu, D. Y., Richards, D., & Atif, A. (2015). An enhanced learning analytics plugin for Moodle : student engagement and personalised intervention. In T. Reiners, B. R. von Konsky, D. Gibson, V. Chang, L. Irving, & K. Clarke (Eds.), Globally connected, digitally enabled. Proceedings ascilite 2015 (pp. 180–189). Perth.

The paper reports on a design-based research project at Macquarie University in Australian aimed at enhancing the Moodle Engagement Analytics Plugin (MEAP) and producing what they label MEAP+

Part of the enhancements made related to recent comments from Marcus regarding the intelligibility of representations used by learning analytics tools.

It appears that MEAP+ is still in beta. The source code is available upon request.

David.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Jones

Re: Liu et al (2015) - An enhanced learning analytics plugin for Moodle: student engagement and personalised intervention

by Alex Jal -
I would greatly appreciate if I can try this plugin, I have a research based on Engagement analytics and it is no more working sadly, completing my research will be a great favour, 

In reply to Alex Jal

Re: Liu et al (2015) - An enhanced learning analytics plugin for Moodle: student engagement and personalised intervention

by David Jones -
G'day Alex,

You can find the source code in this GitHub repository.

David.
In reply to David Jones

by Michael de Raadt -

Thanks for sharing that paper, David. It was a significant one at ASCILITE.

I've added the paper and it's details to the Moodle Research Library.

http://research.moodle.net/76/

I'm keen to test it out myself.

In reply to Michael de Raadt

by Michael de Raadt -

I had a go at testing the MEAP+ report and module. Here are my results so far.

• The plugins include some old (deprecated) code that is preventing them from running on Moodle 2.9 onwards and warnings are shown (with debugging enabled) in versions 2.6 onwards. I focussed on Moodle 2.8 to see if I could test the functionality.
  • Even though the Git repository seems to be active, with changes as recent as a couple of weeks ago, I could not see new functionality described in the ASCILITE paper. The Gradebook indicator and messaging addition have not yet been merged into the master branch, so I'm not sure where those are up to. There is evidence of work in Github (testing this lead to more errors), so there appears to be some consolidation needed.

I'm going to contact Danny directly and offer some assistance. Perhaps we can involve him in the discussion here also.

There are a lot of ideas in common with the Learning Analytics API spec.

by Danny Liu -

Hi all,

Michael just got in touch via email - sorry about my radio silence. Thanks David for posting this up.

There are a couple of branches (primarily the mailer and gradebook_indicator branches) on the Git repository (for the mod and the report) which contain the additional code that the paper discusses. I'm slowly moving towards consolidating it with the master, sorry, and squashing bugs.

It seems that the ideas on https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Learning_Analytics_Specification are very similar to what MEAP+ is doing, so it would be good to combine forces.

Phill Dawson (the plugin's original designer) and I had a chat at ALASI2015 about embedding some predictive analytics, firstly for machine learning generation of the parameters, which can be a bit tricky to set.

by Danny Liu -

Hi all,

The plugin code has been polished up and is now available for download and testing. I'd appreciate any and all feedback:

https://github.com/dannyliu-mq/moodle-mod_engagement

https://github.com/dannyliu-mq/moodle-report_engagement

(We are no longer using/supporting the block, as our research has found that the traffic light representations are inaccurate and too abstracted).