"GIT"ting Collapsed Topics

"GIT"ting Collapsed Topics

by Rick Jerz -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Gareth, I have been experimenting with GITting moodle and plugins.  I need your help about how to GIT Collapsed Topics.  I have come across the following method on GIT for Administrators, but I am not sure how to change these commands to GIT the latest "production" Collapsed Topics, not "experimental."  Might you be able to look at this code as suggest what I need to change to make it work (I have made some of my own changes already with my own thoughts)?  Thanks.

$ cd /path/to/your/moodle/

$ cd course/format

$ git clone https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-format_topcoll.git topcoll

$ cd topcoll

$ git checkout -b MOODLE_30_STABLE origin/MOODLE_30_STABLE

$ git branch -d master

When I experiment, the checkout command fails.  

(If I wanted Collapsed Topics for 29, I assume that I can substitute 29 for 30, right?)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rick Jerz

Re: "GIT"ting Collapsed Topics

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Rick,

The best way to manage Collapsed Topics is as a 'sub module' so that Moodle is the main repository and 'topcoll' a sub-module in it, see:

My branches however are not guaranteed to be stable: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-format_topcoll/branches - only the 'tags' between commits.

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Rick Jerz -

Gareth, now I am better understanding all of this (a little).

The key to what you said is that your branch is not guaranteed to be stable.  To me, this means that it is better not to install Collapsed Topics from GIT, but rather to install it from the plugins area on Moodle.org.  I have no problem with this, and this is what I have been doing for several years.  I just thought that I would see if there is any more efficient way to do this.  We have been talking about this (with Ken) over on another forum.

Thanks for all your help.  I still highly recommend to folks to consider using "Collapsed Topics."

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Rick,

No worries.  I could run a system with stable branches and do my development in dev branches but that would be an admin overhead for me.  People have asked in the past but because of the admin overhead I've decided not to implement it as I would rather spend the time maintaining it.

Kind regards,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Rick Jerz -

Yes, I understand the trade-offs and appreciate your perspective.