Front Page woes

Front Page woes

by Andy Chaplin -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all

I've got myself into a bit of a mess with my front page and I'm hoping that someone can help me out here.

First up, I am using the Morecandy theme and Moodle 2.9.

My aim is to create a front page something like the one referred to by Mary in this thread (using marketing spots).  So far, so good.  I followed the instruction in the thread and got a bootstrap example working.  The problem is that this also appears on the page after I have logged in. On my site the Dashboard is the page that appears after people have logged in, and I don't want the banner and marketing spots to appear again.  I've googled this and searched the forums, but the problem is that people all seem to use, home page, landing page, login page an so on in different ways.

What I want is, in effect, what happens on moodle.org, where you have a landing page, but after log in you just get the dashboard but without the landing page being redisplayed at the top of the dashboard.  I've enabled topic in the Front Page settings and added the code as in the thread mentioned above, but it looks like I've misunderstood something which means I'm getting the content in two places.

I don't think the problem is necessarily theme-related, but I'm not certain, so I'm posting it here.

Thanks for any help or pointers.

Andy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andy Chaplin

Re: Front Page woes

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Andy,

Have you looked at the 'defaulthomepage' setting and that sort of thing?

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Andy Chaplin

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Try adding this to Morecandy's custom setting in the CSS area of that page.

.notloggedin.pagelayout-frontpage .marketing-spots { display: none}

assuming that there is a class selector class="marketing-spots" in the div container fore your marketing spots on the Frontpage?

Cheers, 

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Andy Chaplin -

Mary,

I bow once more to your genius!

The Dashboard is back to normal.  Thank you very much. I owe you a beer at some Moodle Moot!

(Although, to be honest, I don't understand what happened at all! I tested your solution using the code which you originally posted, but that doesn't have that class in the code.)

All the best

Andy

In reply to Andy Chaplin

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The thing with the Morecandy theme is that it started off as an experiment but has since failed because of the FONT icons I added, which was pretty old code, so some of the icons don't work when editing is enabled. This can be a bit of a problem especially if you want to hide an activity or resource.

I'm still working on it and was hoping to get it finished...but have been suffering from RSI in my shoulder which is pretty painful at times.

I have made some changes to the classes/core_renderer.php with the help of Matteo Scaramuccia.

Mind you there is still a lot of work I want to do to make it better, while keeping it pretty simple to use.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Andy Chaplin -
Keep up the good work!  It's a really good theme that lets you use a lot more screen real estate than most.