general thoughts on upgrading moodle

Re: general thoughts on upgrading moodle

by Rick Jerz -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Alexander, let me mention to you that a VPS might take even a little more UNIX experience from you.  I have my VPS with GoDaddy, and they really don't help with server administration, this is expected from me.  Don't get me wrong, their VPS is a very solid configuration, but if I want to adjust some PHP settings, for example, I am expected to do this myself.  I have cPanel with my VPS, and it provides a more friendly user interface to managing my VPS.  In fact, there is even a quantity of "one-click" applications that I can install.  I do not recommend these one-click installs for moodle, moodle is pretty simple to install from scratch.  But for your VPS, you would do well learning a little of UNIX, ssh, and FTP to help you along.

In this forum (above), you will see various methods of easily updating moodle (with some precautions.)  If you want to look at my script files that I show in my video (above), let me know.

Remember that with your hosted account, and with a VPS, you are also getting a website.  I like to use my website for my general public information.  Then, on my website I provide students a link to my moodle.  This has worked well for me.  For example, I don't upload files into moodle.  Instead, I put them on my website and then link to them within moodle.  This keeps my moodle backups smaller.