Can automated course backups include course files (ie. student assignments)?

Can automated course backups include course files (ie. student assignments)?

by Paul Lindgreen -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Documentation indicates files are not included in automated course backups, unlike manual backups that include the course files.

While first learning how to do automated backups I could have sworn some of the backups where huge and included the course files, now I cannot duplicate that, and the backups are smaller as the documentation indicates they should be.

My current automated backups use a Windows Task manager to call the following batch file (moodle backup setting 'Active: Manual'):
@echo off
c:\php\php.exe -f xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\admin\cli\automated_backups.php >> xxxxxxxxxxxxx\AutomatedBackups\%date:~10,4%%date:~4,2%%date:~7,2%.log

While first learning how to do automated backups I used the front end moodle scheduled task with moodle backup setting 'Active: Enabled'. Does 'Manual' vs 'Enabled' or front end vs CLI change what is backed up?

Is it possible for automated course backups to include course files?

We are considering the automated course backups to help instructors that accidentally delete parts of their course, such as an assignment with student submissions. Automated backups would not help retrieve lost student assignment files in this case.

We already backup the live database (in addition to full site backups on tape) for quick and easy retrieval of accidentally deleted data (restore it in our development site) but the files are missing, Is there any advantage to an automated course backup over this data retrieval process? This live database backup and restore in a dev site appears to be a lot easier to work with than course backups of hundreds of courses that runs for hours!

=====environment====

moodle 2.7.8 , windows 2008r2 server , php 5.5, mysql 5.5

Average of ratings: Useful (1)