Permission to control users' ability to view forum posts from a group that they are not part of

Permission to control users' ability to view forum posts from a group that they are not part of

by Evan Donovan -
Number of replies: 3

For my university, we needed to have tutors who could monitor the progress of particular groups of students in a course, but were not able to view data about other students.

In order to meet this need, I created a role based on the Student archetype to which I gave permissions to "View grades of other users" (Allow). However, I set the role to have "access all groups" set to Prohibit. Regarding forums, I left most permissions set to the defaults, except any about creating or responding to posts, which I switched from Allow to Not Set, since the tutors shouldn't have permission to participate in the course, only view their students' records.

Once I set these permissions, I assigned the tutors the newly-defined role in the appropriate courses, and created the groups accordingly. I also modified the course to have "Separate groups" and set the group activity setting to "Force". However, on testing, I discovered that the tutors were able to view forum posts from all users, not just ones in their group.

Could this be because the forum posts were made prior to the groups being created, or is there something else I'm missing? Is there another permission I need to change to ensure that the tutors can only view the forum posts from students in their group?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Evan Donovan

Re: Permission to control users' ability to view forum posts from a group that they are not part of

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Evan,

It does indeed sound like the tutors can view the forum posts because they were made prior to the groups being created.

The only capability relating to restricting users to their own group is 'Access all groups'. It should be sufficient to have it as 'Not set' for the custom tutor role.
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Permission to control users' ability to view forum posts from a group that they are not part of

by Evan Donovan -

Thanks, Helen. That's a helpful clarification. 

So future forum posts will not be visible to them, even if they are in forums that were created prior to when I set the course to have "Separate groups"?

In reply to Evan Donovan

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
It's no problem that the forum was created prior to the course being set to separate groups. What matters is that students are in groups before they post, then their post is identified as being for a particular group only. Teachers or other users with permission to view all groups will see groups listed on the forum page.