Feedback before grade release

Feedback before grade release

by Mike Wilson -
Number of replies: 6

Hi all,

We've got an academic who wants students to engage with their assignment feedback before they can view a grade. I don't believe this is currently possible in Moodle and there aren't any third party assignment types that handle this type of workflow.  Does anyone have any experience delivery this type of workflow in Moodle?

There's a possibility this could become quite an interesting custom development, building upon the existing assignment workflow states. Perhaps introducing a new state (before Released) called 'Feedback review' this state would release the Feedback comments to a student with an additional 'Reflection on my feedback' box where students could reflect. Staff could then switch to the released state once a student has submitted a reflection on their feedback.

Any thoughts / comments appreciated,

Mike

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Wilson

Re: Feedback before grade release

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Mike,

You can use the Dataform plugin with two views. In the first view the instructor can discuss the feedback with the student. In another view the instructor can add the grade and release it at any time.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Mike Wilson -

Hi Harmut, 

Thanks for the recommendation, we'll spend some time looking at the Dataform plugin. It looks like quite a flexible tool.

Mike

In reply to Mike Wilson

by David Campbell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I have an instructor who is asking for the something similar. He would like the feedback viewable, but the grade hidden in assignment when students upload a file.

In reply to Mike Wilson

by William Lu -

Moodle has the feature since the Moodle v1.0

https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Workshop_settings#Submission_phase

It is very useful for peer review. Teacher has the full control when to give feedback and when to make grades available. 

In reply to William Lu

by David Campbell -

William,

Thank you for your reply. I guess I wasn't clear on what the instructor would like to do. He uses the assignment module (online and upload file) and wants the students to only see the feedback he gives but not the grade. I can see where this could be useful if you want students to focus on the feedback and not the grade before doing a rewrite or resubmission. Right now you can hide the grade, but from everything I have read that also hides the feedback. The workshop module that you linked to really doesn't match how he uses Moodle in his course. I am thinking he may have to have two windows open, one for the assignment he is grading and the other the participants list, and whenever he wants to give feedback to a particular student he clicks on them in the participants list and sends it to them  through the messaging system.

Do you think there would be interest in a setting in the hide grade feature that would allow instructors to hide the grade, but show the feedback?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Campbell

by Mike Wilson -

Hi David,

I agree I think having this kind of functionality in the Moodle core assignment would be very useful. There seems to be a bit of a buzz about this type work-flow atm (feedback first, then grade). Although the Dataform module looks to fulfil our requirement it seems like there would be some real benefits having this functionality in the core of Moodle.

Mike