Embed videos

Re: Embed videos

by Mark Sharp -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

One of the exciting new features in Moodle 3.0 is automatic embedded videos. Just paste in the url to an mp4 (or other file format, but mp4 is more universal), make it into a link, then Moodle will recode it show embed the video. The good thing about this is that it will work on any device that supports html5 using a native player. No more worrying about compatibility.

Just like this... 

In reply to Mark Sharp

by Doug Moody -

What if you want to embed the video, but you want to contain the video within Moodle's repository instead of being hosted elsewhere? Does this also work?

In reply to Doug Moody

by Mark Sharp -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Oh sure (if your upload limit will allow for videos) any link to any video where ever it is will work.

In reply to Mark Sharp

by Hugh McLain -

I uploaded a video using repositories and embedding the link on the course page. The video appears to be OK until more than one persons tried to view it then we are getting 500 errors resource not available.

My IT guy, DBA, told me that the embedded link is saving the actual video file to the database and it is only available to the first person that requests it.

I imagined that the video files would be saved to the server not the database. Is there a setting we are missing that could fix this? Has anyone else had a similar issue?

We have Moodle 3.0.2+ (Build: 20160121).

In reply to Hugh McLain

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Hugh,

One of the ways I handled multiple people watching the same video on my server was to create a video on demand folder in red5, and then in Moodle I added the RTMP filter and the Playlist plugin that let me link to the videos and stream them as needed.

In reply to Mark Sharp

by T K -

i almost crashed my moodle yesterday trying to change the url. 
Would it be a better idea to just upgrade to moodle 3.0?

Which is a better method:

1) Create a new server from bitnami moodle image

2) Upgrade current moodle 2.8 to 3.0 

In both cases, would backup/import method be the same method? Without losing any data?

In reply to T K

by Mark Sharp -

This is a different question to the one posted, but upgrade is pretty smooth. But... always, but always test test test and backup before you push the button. There will be changes and if you don't know how those changes will affect you, you could be in for a bumpy ride from staff and students.

In reply to Mark Sharp

by Ricky Ponting -

Its very simple bro

Add a new Page in Moodle (under resources) Go to the HTML source view by clicking on the filmstrip button in the content box. A pop up will appear. Go to YouTube or Vimeo and copy the video embed code. ... Head back to Moodle. ... In the next field, give your video a friendly name. Click the "Insert" button.

Thanks & Regards

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ricky Ponting

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Can I have your autograph?  I saw you back in 2004 at the MCG. Unbelievable, now you are a captain of the Moodle team.