Unable to see video on Login Page Moodle 2.9

Unable to see video on Login Page Moodle 2.9

by A Smiles -
Number of replies: 15

Hello,

I am adding a video via IFrame to the login page 

• Dashboard  / ► Site administration  / ► Plugins  / ► Authentication  / ► Manage authentication

I see the video in the "Instructions" box, but when I log out it does not show on the login page. I have embed/tags turned on and and can even watch the video inside the "instructions box" when pressing play! I have to say that I have no idea as to why this is not showing as I have taken other examples, used them (and can see them in the Instructions box when used) but cannot see any number of attempts and variations that work... And why a video option is not included in the options for embedding of TinyMCE but images are is beyond me!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to A Smiles

Re: Unable to see video on Login Page Moodle 2.9

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

erm, that is interesting, TinyMCE with no insert video option.... who removed it? Video button is on the default toolbar and can be removed, by an Admin, specifically. It doesn't work on a page location option, it is default. 

Also, why are you not editing the Front Page via the Front Page? Think that might have something to do with it. As far as the video is concerned, place a link to the video in the Main Menu block, that should appear before login is required. Of course, you may have to create a page for the video to display in, but it might work. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by A Smiles -

Hi Colin,

I am editing the login page 

• Dashboard  / ► Site administration  / ► Plugins  / ► Authentication  / ► Manage authentication

The user must login before pretty much before anything else is displayed. In the above scenario the video option is not available. Please see attached images...

Attachment frontpagesummery.jpg
Attachment instructions.jpg
In reply to A Smiles

by Just H -

You sure that's TinyMCE and not ATTO?

In reply to Just H

by A Smiles -

Thanks for pointing that out Just H (I feel a little silly but moodle does that to you anyway).

I have now switched to TinyMCE thanks to your observation. But when I try to insert a media file in the "manage authentication" "instructions" the popup generated does not provide any boxes for info (in other words I can't add any text into it all): Please see attached image... 

Attachment moodlemedia.jpg
In reply to Just H

by A Smiles -

OK I have made a little progress. I have gone to Dashboard - Frontpage- Edit Settings -

I have some text in the Frontpage Summery box. And have the "Include Topic Section" checked.

I have also clicked on Turn On Editing afterwards

I see some courses, a site restriction notice which I created. I have created a new HTML block on that page and inserted a video into that block with TinyMCE editor. Setting for the block "display on front page only", region = right, weight = -1.

I STILL do not see any of it when I log out and see the login page! 

In reply to A Smiles

by Colin Fraser -

If you insist on using the wrong pages to set things up, then there is not a lot anyone can do to help I am afraid. 

Otherwise, please go back to my first response and consider what that might mean. 

On top of that, I seriously suggest you go and look at the documentation for the Language Customization. Try going to Site Admin > Language > Language Customization. The link should open in a new tab and you should be able to work out how to change the front page notices from the information provided there. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by A Smiles -

Hey Colin whereas I am thankful for your reply I am not sure a chastising is appropriate in a public forum. My reply today had simply not caught up with your comment. I tried for a couple of hours yesterday to do as you suggested and used the frontpage settings. I changed the editor to TinyMCE but I was still not able to have a working video in that area. In the end I created a html page which has the video on which I can have people watch prior to logging in. After chasing it around for 2 or 3 days it just seemed easier to do that. Although a lot of people use moodle there are a lot of people who do not, simply because from a new user point of view stuff is buried within other parts, boxes that required check marks are buried way down in the depths of moodle and it can take a long time to figure out why one element that you want to work doesn't. Sure if you have been using it for some time then it gets easier... Instead of telling me that I am using the wrong page to achieve the wrong aim, then perhaps the following question would be as appropriate! Why, if there is a box that can be edited in the "Authentication" settings page is there no option to do that (add a video)? Why would that box be made different to all other editing options in moodle?

Believe me I felt that yesterday I tried in every conceivable way to use the frontpage settings to achieve that. But for some reason I am either missing something, something buried way down in the depths of the hundreds of options isn't checked, or there is some other reason for which I am not aware as to why I am not able to manage it. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to A Smiles

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello - I read your first post, that you are trying to add a video to the log in page. It could well be that Moodle doesn't allow iframes in this area - there are some areas of Moodle where even someone with admin rights and with embedded objects enabled cannot display an embedded video such as from Youtube. It is the case with user blogs for example. So it might be that you were not doing anything wrong - just that security prevents iframes from displaying.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Colin Fraser -

Well, here is a simple little thing I did in 30 seconds. As you can see, I am not logged in, this is a scratch Moodle I use at home to wreck from time to time, and the video is playing on a continuous loop. With a little effort, I am sure that I could get the video embedded to play only when the user clicks on it to play. This was an HTML block with a direct link to an mp4 video located in a directory on a completely separate desktop from the Moodle server. It was done using Atto. I really do not understand what the issue is here? 

A simple test

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Colin Fraser -

And here is one in Internet Exploder, the other one is on Chrome.... same thing, same conditions and without any additional formatting.  With a little care, I am sure you could do the same thing. 

video test on front page

In reply to Colin Fraser

by A Smiles -

Thanks for the step by step instruction on that.... This is a learn management system website right? It concerns me no end when I see some replies here that just push people to documentation which in most cases they have read before coming here and come here because they "learn differently" or struggle to understand something. I have a lot of experience in instructing in various subjects... As the saying goes "never explain a doing thing" and with all due respect, those nice images you have provided only go to show your arrogance by saying "Look I can do it" and your lack of professional understanding when it comes to different "learning" methods and needs.

In reply to A Smiles

by Colin Fraser -

ermmm, wow, Should I feel somewhat humiliated now? Your obviously sharp analysis of both my intent and skills or lack thereof, is clearly so valid that I am at a complete loss to adequately respond. I would be flattered if you actually read what I put there, but clearly you haven't, you just decided to take it as a personal attack. Pity... 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by A Smiles -
I would have been more flattered if there had been a step by step instruction of how you achieved the video solutions rather than a.. "Look, see! I can do it." As for personal attacks I suggest you read your previous comments and try to figure out how they might come across to someone seeking help in a public forum...
In reply to A Smiles

by Colin Fraser -

Again, I would refer to my first post.... exactly as written. Or if that doesn't work, then try a HTML block the same results are gained.  

In reply to A Smiles

by g k -

I think you have to add the course/site summary block to your page to see it. Also, make sure it is not hidden.