Suggestion on SMS plugins and themes

Suggestion on SMS plugins and themes

by Muhammad Moosa -
Number of replies: 8

Hello Everyone, I am pretty new to Moodle, but somehow i have ended up suggesting the College/University where I work to utilize the Moodle services and they seem pretty much convinced.

So as a starter i have set up this site here: www.brainserp.info

Now the administration is more interested in taking advantage of Moodle as more of administration tool than education tool. For example, they are more inclined towards using the attendance feature of Moodel, which is very simple to install and everyone is happy about it.

Now the other thing they want to get out of Moodle is to send bulk SMS to students, which they do quite often now (all manually using phones). I am supposed to provide that with Moodle

So i require from those who has experience in setting up SMS gateways on Moodle to direct me which plug-in i need to install that will work out of box for me. ( I am located in Pakistan if someone can show me a good sms gateway)

and one other questions, is there a better theme with more customization options that the usual ones? I am using Elegance, but i am very impressed with the one Moodel.org is using, is this custom theme? is it available? or is there a low priced theme i can buy that might give me similar options like this one?

Thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Muhammad Moosa

Re: Suggestion on SMS plugins and themes

by Simon Rediss-Whitfield -
In reply to Simon Rediss-Whitfield

by Muhammad Moosa -
terribly sorry for late reply, I was not on my working computer and could not reply from home because I don’t remember my credentials and have them saved in work computer.

Thank you for suggestions, but I have installed version 3.0, and to my misery there is no plugin For sms supporting 3.0.

any suggestion on how to downgrade to 2.9 now?

by m question -

for themes see this link, I think you already using essential theme

how did you set the login page , are you using CAS or any single sign on method

In reply to m question

by Muhammad Moosa -
yes, and the login page is set by theme under essentials settings.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Simon Rediss-Whitfield -

This is one of the reasons I am still on 2.9 as not all my plugins are 3.0 compatible. 

Did you backup your site before the upgrade? if not then I am afraid I do not know a way to go back to 2.9 as moodle is not designed to downgrade as far as I know

In reply to Simon Rediss-Whitfield

by Muhammad Moosa -

Yeah, i have the automatic backup running in background. I was looking into some other way to downgrade to previous version. You are right, there is no other way. I tried to copy entire site and data to older version leaving the database as it is. But that gives

"Error: The data in database is created by newer version of the software"

which could only be resolved by upgrading.

by Just H -

Have you tried the plugin in Moodle 3? Worth trying it out, sometimes plugins work in the next version without problems. If it does work let the plugin author know so   they can bump the version it supports.

In reply to Just H

by Muhammad Moosa -

Yes , I did , the SMS notifier Block did not work on 3.0.

For now i have rolled back to older version.