Overheard absurd technical Jargon

Re: Overheard absurd technical Jargon

by Marcus Green -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

That is rather informative Mr Bury, I feel I am dawdling somewhere behind the cutting edge on understanding these things.

Now everyone get in your Tardis and come back to December 1987 in Melbourne Australia.  The office Manager of PC Extras (a software distribution company), is complaining to me that software all has absurd names. Like what I ask? 

Well there is Peachtree this, and Apricot that and  Apple the other, and whenever they start talking about the Silk spreadsheet I get people talking about salad dressing. 

I said I had heard some unusual terms, but salad dressing was all new to me. After some investigation I found out it was a reference to cell addressing.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Juan Leyva is not eligable to reply to this post for obvious reasons smile

I have been exploring the world of Moodle Mobile2 and I'd like some guesses at which are real names of technology and which I just made up (no cheating by using a search engine).

Soo, tests are written using Jasmine and run using Karma. Karma is a JavaScript command line tool that can be used to spawn a web server which access an emulation of web services through an instance of Balti.

MM2 is built with Ionic framework, ionic is a full stack mobile hybrid apps that uses the MonkeyWrench server side javascript framework. Flemenco is used for co-ordinating testing with standard cucumber and behat scripts.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ok I promise I didn't look! 

Actually, I haven't a clue. I have a vague vague idea Monkeywrench might be real . I know ionic is real because I remember asking why it was called ionic. The others  I don't know but I bet you made up Balti. Because (apparently) English people did make up balti smile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Marcus Green -

You got me Mary, I made up Balti, which is allegedly an "indian" curry dish that may originate in Birmingham in the midlands of the UK. I also made up Monkeywrench, but it might be an actual technology as well for all I know.

In reply to Marcus Green

by K Scott Huntley -

Monkeywrench does have a legit sound to it, but you have to go way back when WebMonkey was still a thing (late 90s). I seem to recall some WebMonkey-JavaScript-client-side tool of some kind, but for the life of me, I can't recall the details.

Sigh, now I have to go find out what it was called.

Average of ratings: Cool (1)
In reply to K Scott Huntley

by K Scott Huntley -

It was Greasemonkey, and it's still around, and not as old as I thought it was.

My memory is shocking. My doctor says I should take two of these pills every four hours to help. 

Or is it four every two hours...

In reply to K Scott Huntley

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Good Grief!!!! And I am still getting my head around TLAs, and FLAs and SFICSN!!! 

Ahhggghhh I'm too old for this nonsense just give me back my Furfy's and firkins and gadzooks! cool

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)