moodle custom course development

moodle custom course development

by Amal k -
Number of replies: 3

My requirement is some what different from moodle default operation.That is when starting a course in moodle admin should be able to define the terms. There are 4 terms in a year. each term consist of 3 months.  That is

term1-(jan,feb,march)

term2-(Apr,may, jun)

term3-(july,aug,sep)

term4-(oct,nov,dec)

Admin should be able to assign modules into this term.  In the case of student who enrolled for a particular course will only be able to see the modules according to the term.

For doing the above things in moodle where should i start?, should i develop a custom block for that ?,Or  Is there will be any problem by  altering moodle databases?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Amal k

Re: moodle custom course development

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello. (I deleted your duplicate posts as per my message to you.) One suggestion is  if you are using one course and you have topic sections for each term module, you could perhaps use Restrict access features such as conditional user fields.  Investigate creating custom profile fields relating to your four terms, term 1, term 2, etc. Students must have the custom field of the term they should have access to. Then you can set each of the four sections to only show to those students .

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Amal k -

Hi mary

Thanks for your reply. But according to our requirment we are taking the moodle courses as modules.And students who enrolled for a particular course have to pay for each module. Let me clarify it

for eg.

we have a course

1. MBA (here we are talking the category as course name)

1.1 MBA HR (here we are talking the sub- category as course branch name)

1.1.1  Introduction (these are modules under MBA HR course. According to moodle architecture these are the courses)

1.1.2  Introduction to management  (these are modules under MBA HR course)

students have to pay for each module. so we adopted this idea.

So these modules are coming under each term. So in the admin part the administrator have design course terms and

assign modules into each term. For doing this what i have to do?

In reply to Amal k

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'm not quite sure what you mean terminology-wise -your 'modules' are Moodle courses, I get that  -but it is not possible to restrict the view of other categories in Moodle even if you are not enrolled in any courses in them. It shouldn't matter as long as the student is not enrolled in the courses in that category or the courses in that term. (By default in most Moodle sites anyone can see all the categories anyway from yoursite/course/index.php) However, if that is what you want (restrict view of categories) then I suggest you do a search on these forums. People have come up with complex workarounds (using hidden categories/permissions, which I'm not convinced about) or they might have suggested other developments.