Asp classic vs asp.net vs Ruby for development of modules?

Asp classic vs asp.net vs Ruby for development of modules?

by Jose Antonio Veintimilla Castilla -
Number of replies: 3

I am a web developer solutions. Until five years ago using asp 3.0 (later with jquery, ajax and json). Currently I make mvc asp.net web applications 5.
The question?
What language would you recommend to develop modules to expand the solution we have installed Moodle in school?

1. Classic Asp (3.0) - odbc to sql
2. Asp.net mvc 5 (.Net)
3. Ruby on Rails (Ruby)

I have not programmed in php or python.

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jose Antonio Veintimilla Castilla

Re: Asp classic vs asp.net vs Ruby for development of modules?

by Darko Miletić -

That really depends. If you want to extend the Moodle itself than you are forced to use PHP, otherwise you can use whatever suits you.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you are writing Moodle plugins, then they are in PHP - that is the language that Moodle and all Moodle plugins is written in.

If you want to write a separate application in a language of your choice, you may be able to make use of the IMS LTI standard to link to it from your Moodle instance ( https://docs.moodle.org/30/en/External_tool ).

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Alice Smith -

It depends upon developer interest. I prefer Asp.net mvc 5 because it is easy to understand. Asp.net supports a huge framework and it has many built components and has a great editing features.